Small Cultivator

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Geoff
KG Regular

I have no trouble digging but find the clod bashing to a tilth afterwards hard work. I wonder if a small electric cultivator would be any use. I've looked at the Mantis from time to time, currently £189, 1000W, 12" wide. There is a cheap one available from Aldi at the moment, £60, 1200W, 14"wide. The design is different, Mantis has wheels, Aldi doesn't. Anybody any experience of using one without wheels?

Cult_Man.JPG
Cult_Man.JPG (47.26 KiB) Viewed 8722 times

Cult_Ald.JPG
Cult_Ald.JPG (25.81 KiB) Viewed 8722 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Geoff, I use one of the early Mantis 2 stroke tillers, this doesn't have wheels and is fairly easy to use...if just taken steady.
I just wondered if the wheels on the Mantis in your photo, are just for transportation?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

I just wondered if the wheels on the Mantis in your photo, are just for transportation?

It's hard to tell from the video on their website https://mantis.uk.com/product/electric-cultivator-3450/ but I suspect they aren't really active in the cultivating.
robo
KG Regular

Hi Geoff , I have a mantis with a 25cc Honda engine driving it no wheels but an excellent bit of kit,I used to have a handy electric one no wheels on it but powerful for an electric one ,I left it in my shed down the plot one night along with the generator to drive it and some scrote had them away
Geoff
KG Regular

Thanks - it sounds like it might do the job, £60 and three year warranty is quite tempting.
Compo
KG Regular

What csn you lose really?
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Geoff
KG Regular

We'll see - ordered today!
Geoff
KG Regular

Delivered today. Seems to make a difference.

IMG_4383_R.jpg
IMG_4383_R.jpg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 8610 times

IMG_4387_R.jpg
IMG_4387_R.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 8610 times
Primrose
KG Regular

I imagine these devices are a good investment for those with large plots or as anno domini starts to creep up and physical effort becomes harder. Physical exercise like digging and raking may be good in small quantities but machinery which eliminates physical exhaustion surely make this kind of activity more pleasurable and less time consuming. Appliances which keep one gardening longer than would otherwise be possible are to be applauded.
Geoff
KG Regular

Looks even better with a row of Masterpiece Green Longpod planted.

IMG_4388_R.jpg
IMG_4388_R.jpg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 8573 times
Stephen
KG Regular

That is looking good Geoff.

I'm going to stick to fork, the three prong cultivator (the "Abu Hamza" as we have nicknamed in in very unPC way) and a rake. I hope it will keep me active.
On the new no dig style section obviously I try to smash up the manure then add some seived soil.

Our shed is already full to (nearly) overflowing.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Colin2016
KG Regular

I have & used the cheap one on my back garden (not plot as no dig) which turn lumps into easy to work soil also cuts roots into smaller roots for regrowing so best to pull all roots out first.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

robo wrote:Hi Geoff , I have a mantis with a 25cc Honda engine driving it no wheels but an excellent bit of kit,I used to have a handy electric one no wheels on it but powerful for an electric one ,I left it in my shed down the plot one night along with the generator to drive it and some scrote had them away

Was givan this advice some years ago from an old time copper.
Buy a can of car spray. spray part of machinery with it. Unsitely but works. Easily recognised at a boot sale. Also paint post code on all machinery . :wink:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Wise words, Shallot Man.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:
robo wrote:Hi Geoff , I have a mantis with a 25cc Honda engine driving it no wheels but an excellent bit of kit,I used to have a handy electric one no wheels on it but powerful for an electric one ,I left it in my shed down the plot one night along with the generator to drive it and some scrote had them away

Was givan this advice some years ago from an old time copper.
Buy a can of car spray. spray part of machinery with it. Unsitely but works. Easily recognised at a boot sale. Also paint post code on all machinery . :wink:

PS. Should have mentioned post code using ultra violet pen. From all good Police Stations. FREE.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic