No go mower

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Geoff
KG Regular

Serviced my mower as usual but it won't start. It's electric start and seems to turn over slowly when I try to start it. Was a bit that way at the end of last season so I have fitted a new battery. Can the actual starter motor fail in this way (Briggs and Stratton engine)?
Muddyboot68
KG Regular

The mower turns over, so I guess the electric wiring sounds OK but as it turns slowly I would have the battery checked.
robo
KG Regular

Starters can give all types of problems I would get it checked out
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Does it have a pull start as well, Geoff?
Just one thought, have you checked the earth lead is doing it's job...
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

I can't decide what to do. As I said it was turning over slowly then just firing at the end of last season which I assumed was the battery. I gave it 24 hours charging before testing after service but it did the same so I replaced the battery to no effect. When I tried for an extended period there was a bit of smoke from the cable to the starter motor. There isn't a pull start alternative. I've done the usual service of changing the oil, cleaning the plug (which was clean anyway) and cleaning the air filter with the addition of changing the fuel filter (and £63 for a new blade so I hope the machine isn't buggered for its 15th season). I'm full of a cold so haven't felt like going into the garage to play with it. I'm just trying to find out if starter motors work or don't work or if there is a half way stage where they simply don't turn over fast enough. If I get somebody to look at it I'll get charged for collection and probably about £70 for a motor (if that is it) compared with a £35 generic off eBay.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Geoff, sounds awfully like it could be the decompression lever in the engine not working...

robo
KG Regular

I used to be the transport manager over around 100 Iveco vans the number of lazy starter motors we suffered was unbelievable with symptoms like you are saying the only other thing that springs to mind are dirty connections ,we have had the starter motor and alternator overalled on our boat for £70 each
robo
KG Regular

Geoff ,I hope my post above has not come over harsh ,I wasn’t meant to be ,I sent my brother a text on Friday evening when I read it back I was disgusted with myself I’ve never seen the need to be nasty on a keyboard
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Geoff. Could try a whiff of easy-start.
Geoff
KG Regular

No problems with your post Robo. On the basis of looking at what has changed I've even thought about putting the old fuel filter back. I could try a whiff of carb cleaner too. Going to look at online video of starter motor changing today and if it looks easy I might order one. Thanks everybody.
Geoff
KG Regular

Later I found some help notes on Briggs and Stratton website (there are quite a lot there which I suppose I should have realised):

If the starter cranks the engine too slowly, you likely have a problem with...
• Additional load affecting performance. If this doesn’t occur when under a lighter load, reach out to a Briggs & Stratton service dealer to learn how to improve performance.
• Discharged battery, faulty electrical connection (battery circuit), battery leads too long or wire diameter too small, or incorrect size battery (too small). To address these issues, check the battery and charging system for problems.
• Wrong oil viscosity for temperature expected. Use the Small Engine Oil Recommendation FAQ for info on choosing the right lubricant for your lawn mower or outdoor power products.
• Dirty or worn starter motor commutator, bearing, weak magnets, etc.
• Worn brushes or weak brush springs.

Having checked out the electrics, it couldn’t really be an earth fault as the battery black goes to the chassis and motor only has a live feed grounding through the block, and reading that a motor fault can create slow cranking I cracked and ordered a generic motor for £49.99.

Motor delivered 1:15, engine started 1:30 – now wondering if I should cut the grass just because I can!

PS : and I did.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That's brilliant news, Geoff...so glad I was wrong about the compression thing.
Must be a nice feeling to have it sorted...

Primrose
KG Regular

Well done Geoff. The first cut of the year with any kind of automatic mower is always fraught. Will the darned thing start or won't it? And more often than not it doesn't and you're plunged into a wave of frustration and despair.

Our Hayter mower has just been collected for its annual service. My husband is not a DIY man unfortunately, so the darned thing had better start first time when it comes back! .
Geoff
KG Regular

Yes OH it's strange the things that give you pleasure, happiness from a little engine spluttering into life. Mind I've spent over £150 on parts for it this year so it needed to. It is a Hayter too Primrose, I wonder what a routine service costs?
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:Geoff. Could try a whiff of easy-start.

Was told many years ago by a fitter.\Always let the mower run out of petrol prior to putting it away for the winter. Any petrol left in the can, put in the car. Always buy fresh petrol next season.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic