Villiers MK 12/2 engine manual

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

davetedd
KG Regular

Hi - can anyone help with locating this manual or with information on how to get at the points on this engine?
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,

I have copied this info' from a May 1972 C12 handbook...not sure if it will match your engine type.??.

I've not had so much experience with Villiers engines...

A large proportion of Villiers do not have a locating key to align the flywheel...do note the brief mention of how to align the flywheel on the tapered crank.
The timing figure is, I note, hard to read...it is; piston 3/16" before top dead centre.

The flywheel nut on most of these engines acts as a puller to draw the flywheel from its taper.(Note the torque figure is in lb/inch...and not lb/ft.)

It would seem that there is a bolt that holds the starter cup/pulley in place...this screws into the nut that is used to hold the flywheel in place.

Do make sure that the contact set faces are immaculate clean and dry...this is vital to get a spark...even grime from feeler gauges can be enough to upset things.

A local machinery repairer should be able to test the ignition coil...should you suspect it to be faulty.

Only attempt the repairs if you are sure you can bring the work to a safe successful conclusion..if you have any doubts it may be best to consult a local machinery repairer.
Most long established machinery repairers should be familiar with things Villiers.

For Villiers spares;
Meetens Industrial Engines Ltd,
Unit 2 Eclipse Trading Estate
30 West Hill
Epsom
Surrey
KT19 8JD

0845 634 0295

All the best,
Clive.

Last edited by Clive. on Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Clive.
KG Regular

Similar info' to my previous posting....but this time relating to earlier Mark 10 & 12 engines from an April 1954 handbook.

davetedd
KG Regular

Clive - many thanks for the data. The engine is now running sweetly. The points gap was correct but they were tarnished. :D Regards Dave Tedd
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Dave,
Pleased to read that the engine is running sweetly again.

Out of curiosity I have just had a search around, primarily to see if this forum is found yet by internet search engines..It wasn't..
"Searchalot" did though find your parallel enquiry on allotments 4all.

It also found some Villiers info' that is freely available to download.

http://www.winget.co.uk/downloads.htm

And also the direct link to the Mk12/2 listing.

http://www.winget.co.uk/downloads/pdf/v ... 201962.pdf

All the best,
Clive.
cancunia
KG Regular

Hello Clive,

Many thanks for pasting the scanned pages of your "May 1972 C12 handbook" in the above post. I realise that it's over 10 years ago now, but I was wondering if you still have that manual, possibly a scanned copy? If you're still in East Lincs, we're probably not too far away, I'm close to Louth.
My interest comes from having just acquired a C12 from about that time (1973 I think) and I'd like if possible to get hold of the correct manual. The Winget manuals you mentioned above still exist, but they are for the C12 E which although very similar is not quite the same. I have a C12E on my Howard Bantam and got this engine as a spare.

Thanks
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
I suspect the handbook is still about at home here...lurking somewhere :? I've had a look on the pc and it seems that I just scanned the pages that I then posted up at the time. Since then I had to take a step back from things machinery. :(

I have though just found this .pdf online...wonder if you had come across this one.? http://www.nigelpacker.me.uk/Villiers%20WSM.pdf

Clive.
Clive.
KG Regular

Since the first days of this thread Meetens have moved to the Preston area. http://www.meetens.co.uk/products/villiers_engines.html

C.
cancunia
KG Regular

Hello again,

Thanks for the swift reply, much appreciated.
I have a copy of that manual you posted the link to, in fact I sent a copy to Paul Child at Meetens for nostalgia value at it has their stamp on page 2.
The WSM does have most of the details, as does the C12E manual and between them I do have most of what I need. I like to have the specific manuals for the engine if at all possible as part of the 'collection' and the extracts from the 12/2 manual you posted are the closest I've seen to the engine I have so I thought there may be some other interesting snippets in the Handbook. If you come across it, please let me know, perhaps I can scan it for you.
harry56
KG Regular

Really good for those without a garden though or with limited space!

gclub
Bantammanhome
KG Regular

Hi,can somebody tell me what type of coil is fitted to villiers mk15 engine,the thing is when I connect the coil to the backplate it grounds rendering the points useless as it's not breaking the contact between the pionts so as it does when I leave it unbolted off the bacjplatr,is there something built into the coil to interrupt the charge or is it collapsed inside the windings and causeing a closed circuit. Thanks for any help
cancunia
KG Regular

Bantammanhome wrote:Hi,can somebody tell me what type of coil is fitted to villiers mk15 engine,the thing is when I connect the coil to the backplate it grounds rendering the points useless as it's not breaking the contact between the pionts so as it does when I leave it unbolted off the bacjplatr,is there something built into the coil to interrupt the charge or is it collapsed inside the windings and causeing a closed circuit. Thanks for any help

I had a Villiers engine with a cut-out wire running behind the coil that had worn away insulation causing the coil to be shorted to earth. I only found it by chance when I took the coil off if the stator plate.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic