Pull-Starter Problem: Punch 43s

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

BazzB
KG Regular

I’m trying to restore old Qualcast Punch 43s. It had been abandoned in a shed for years, but I was optimistic it could be fixed. A lack of spark proved to be due to the electronic ignition module :| having packed in. In order to change that, I had to remove the pull-starter and the flywheel. Having re-assembled everything, I’m now finding that the pull-starter is slipping and not firmly engaging with the engine to turn it. I’m sure it was OK before I removed it. I cannot see any change I made that explains this and the engine turns quite easily by hand. Can anyone offer any advice on this

Thanks
Bazz
robo
KG Regular

Hi bazzb, welcome to the forum , it's very hard to advise on a pull start with out having hold of it ,if you hold it upside down and pull the cord does it work ok then
BazzB
KG Regular

I've solved it! The cover over the flywheel mounts on to the engine with 4, 10mm screws, but the cover has slots in in rather than round holes. If the cover is fitted without pushing it hard against the engine, it results in the pull starter being too far outside the "pot" mounted on the flywheel which it needs to engage, so it spins.

When pushed hard towards the engine before the 4 screws are tightened, the prongs on the pull starter are closer in and engage.

So its now starts, but of course the Dellorto has a poor reputation for running when cold, and even though I stripped it down and put it in an ultrasonic cleaner, it is still not fully sorted. But I'm making some progress :)

B
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic