Modified standard garden trowel - "snub nosed trowel"

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

no_akira
KG Regular

Always found the traditional garden trowel not that useful on heavy soil.

Well after a few minutes with "Mr Grinder & Mr Hammer"... Voila !

Its been de-beaked and flattened across the central area plus sharpened into a cutting edge across the snub and along the left hand edge as I am right handed (Right edge if you are left handed)

Disclaimer: Always wear safety googles and away from flamible materials when grinding metal.

snub-nosed_vs_standard_c.jpg
snub-nosed_vs_standard_c.jpg (227.45 KiB) Viewed 5114 times

snub_nosed_modification_c.jpg
snub_nosed_modification_c.jpg (351.12 KiB) Viewed 5114 times
"How's that allotment site, I've heard its heavy going clay soil up there..." :( :? :!: :wink:
Westi
KG Regular

Wow no_akira! You are definitely going win this nature game if willing to commit to that modification! I've got sandy soil on top of clay, but about 2 - 3ft until I meet Mr Clay. Front row of our site is just clay but my part wasn't opened until about 10 years & a bit ago! In the interim they dumped the river dredgings on it - lucky me!
Westi
no_akira
KG Regular

Does sound like you've got "Challenging soil" Westi...

But the cap of under layer of clay could be useful as its stopping the moisture completely dissappearing.

Perhaps "sunken beds" would be best for your plot ?
"How's that allotment site, I've heard its heavy going clay soil up there..." :( :? :!: :wink:
Westi
KG Regular

It works well, the roots of the plants go toward the clay layer for moisture (which in some parts is not as deep as stated) but they have an easy journey there. Generally the plot is workable in any weather & although I still gasp at whole dry the soil looks in a good summer, but the plants always look OK & grow pretty well! There are the shallow rooted ones I have to treat differently & water more but it does lower the overall time of watering.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic