Oh for a Hoe!

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

After several years of faffing about with a claw, I've finally got round to buying a hoe.

What a revalation! In 10 minutes I went round half of my plot, and removed all the weeds in the process. At last I may be able to keep up as the rest of the weeds creep up on me during Spring.

All in all, my plot has never looked so good. The only blot on this success story was me taking the tops off a couple of emerging spuds (there were several "volunteers" in other parts of the plot, and I forgot to stop slicing when I got to the edge of my lines of potatoes.....). More care needed next time!
Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Colin

Now you have a hoe.....get a flat file. Now you can keep the hoe sharp and it will work wonders for you for many years to come.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Allan
KG Regular

To get maximum efficiency I have to have all types of tool. I have one genuine claw, definitely the best for just breaking up a crust without digging too far but they spoilt it by twisting the handles. On the other hand a good hoe is the only way to deal satisfactorily with keeping on top of annual weeds. In the end I have standardised on the Wolf wavy-edged hoe (narrowest one)which is self-sharpening, now got 7 of them distributed among the tunnels, with a few other multi-change heads of different design for the unusual tasks. All have the aluminium handles so they won't rot ever, why are so many GCs selling only 'traditional' wooden handled tools these days just to be trendy I guess. Wolf tools are not cheap but they have strength and durability unsurpassed.
PT
KG Regular

Hi Allan.
I have 5 kinds of hoe, all with wooden handles. I prefer wood because it feels good, absorbs sweat, it's cheaper and easy to replace if you do brake it. And you can use the old handle for something else.
If you give it a wipe over with a little linseed oil now and then, it'll last for years.

Peter

PS. GS are giving us a choice. and maybe it's the alli handles that are trendy ones
"One of the healthiest ways to gamble is with a spade and a packet of garden seeds"
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Allan, are the wolf hoe heads you have got, of the push pull type? I have the small and large type, and find them a huge time saver.
As the old boys used to say, the more you hoe the more they will grow.

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
PT
KG Regular

Hi Allan. I didn't mean my reply on hoe's to sound argumentative. I was just stating my personal choice.
I'm not very diplomatic some times.

Kindest regards

Peter
"One of the healthiest ways to gamble is with a spade and a packet of garden seeds"
John
KG Regular

Allan and Oldherby have mentioned the Wolf push-pull weeder. These tools really are an excellent piece of kit as the double blade gives you a cut on the push and on the return. Mine is an early one that fits onto a traditional wooden handle but nowadays I think that you have to get them as part of the Wolf multi-change system at some expense. Still a good investment though.

John

PS Remember to hoe before the weed seedlings emerge - much more effective to get them as they are getting themselves ready in the ground than later on when they have started to establish.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic