Qualcast Suffolk Punch 43S

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

kjaerlarsen
KG Regular

Hi.
I'm New to this forum, but it looks like the right place to put my questions.
I have just purchased a used Suffolk Punch 43S from '94.
After some initial running problems, i finally got it running to my likings. After sharpening, it has its first cut under its belt, and what a result!
As you can se on the attached pics. it needs some TLC, which i intend to give it this coming winther.
Then to my questions: is there Any known weak spots on this machine, i should be Award of when i restore it?
Does anybody have some information on the engine and carb?
I intend to bring it back to its full glory, mainly to se my jaloux neighbours, who only have rotary mowers that do a rather sorry job. And then off course the stripes! :D
Attachments
mower3.jpg
mower3.jpg (96.98 KiB) Viewed 4880 times
mower1.jpg
mower1.jpg (89.72 KiB) Viewed 4880 times
mower2.jpg
mower2.jpg (85.97 KiB) Viewed 4880 times
kjaerlarsen
KG Regular

By the Way: my newly mowed lawn.
Attachments
mowedlawn.jpg
mowedlawn.jpg (72.53 KiB) Viewed 4880 times
Richard
KG Regular

That chassis was used from the late 1960s onwards. The Suffolk/Qualcast was always a “budget” cylinder mower but is reliable and robust. The aluminium engine was not quite as well regarded, it does sound a bit clattery but I don’t think there are reliability issues except for the carburettor. That particular DelOrto was a bad choice. The problem is fine jets that “fir up” over winter, cleaning and blowing them out won’t work and you can’t adjust the main jet to compensate. Instead of sorting the problem Qualcast played around with different spark plugs, before changing to a different carburettor, by which time the alloy engines reputation was shot, and they changed to Kawasaki engines circa 2000. I guess putting fuel stabiliser in the last fill up of the season would cure the problem but half an hour on choke is often needed on the first cut of Spring if you don’t.
kjaerlarsen
KG Regular

Richard wrote:That chassis was used from the late 1960s onwards. The Suffolk/Qualcast was always a “budget” cylinder mower but is reliable and robust. The aluminium engine was not quite as well regarded, it does sound a bit clattery but I don’t think there are reliability issues except for the carburettor. That particular DelOrto was a bad choice.

Compared to the mowers i see around in my neighbourhood, the Suffolk Punch is far from a budget model, but again, i do not think that Danes are that much in to lawns, exept on the golf course.
The cutting quality far exeeds anything i have seen in recent years where i live.
Regarding the carburettor, i've had my share of problems, but managed to find another engine and switched the carburettor, now it runs quite well.
Thanks for the advice! :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic