Aluminium tubing

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I am wanting some lengths of half inch aluminium tubing to make frames for plant covers etc. I can only find shortish ready cut pieces in gardening magazines or some on a more industrial scale in large quantities.
Does anyone know where I can buy some at reasonable prices?
Gerry
KG Regular

Hi PP,

Why aluminium and not copper? Half inch copper pipe is readily available in longer lengths and with Yorkshire fittings (copper soldered fittings) all sorts of shapes can be made.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards, Gerry.
Sandyback
KG Regular

What sort of plant covers?
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi

Why not use the blue water pipe I think its called polypropylene pipe :shock:

Regards

Arnie
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Sandyback
KG Regular

I use Alkathene/polypropylene as support hoops.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coil-Blue-wat ... 0936083298

I think I used the 20mm diameter. I can check and also let you know what I got from the roll.

I would also consider the plastic water or electric conduits they have a fair section of fittings but could work out pricey.

If I need to make low "caged area" to net I just use lamp irons this gives me a height of about 3ft with canes running across the hook. about £30.00 for 20 with free P&P next day delivery :D
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thanks for the suggestions. I want to make cages to fit some smallish raised beds. I have made covers to fit from enviromesh but want something more substantial than garden canes to make the frame. Copper tubing is more expensive than aluminium and plastic is too bendy. I've got the joining pieces for the corners etc for half inch tubes so thought aluminium would be best.
Sandyback
KG Regular

There is a picture within this link which shows 20mm blue alkathene on a 4ft wide bed, it is also used within the raised beds which are either 4ft or 2ft wide. the one in the picture usually has debris netting over it which is heavier than enviromesh, even with the gusting we have had over the past few days they have not moved. it does come in other colours.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12001

Just a thought :D
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Will look for the alkathene thanks Sandyback
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Roll of alkathene ordered so I'll give it a try, I suppose I could push some thin garden canes down it if it is too bendy. Yours looks OK though Sandyback.
Sandyback
KG Regular

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised :) I perhaps push the ends in by about a foot.
Geoff
KG Regular

I put cane legs on plastic hoops by finding some that is a tight fit, push it about 9" in and leave a foot out and secure with a stainless wood screw.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic