Briggs ES45 just will not start!! advice please.

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mowerman
KG Regular

Few more pics:
Attachments
Tapping the flywheel
Tapping the flywheel
DSCN1389.JPG (229.02 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
Making the flywheel puller tool
Making the flywheel puller tool
DSCN1390.JPG (254.1 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
Flywheel puller tool
Flywheel puller tool
DSCN1392.JPG (226.85 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
John
KG Regular

I'm really impressed MM
When I've had to get a flywheel off I've just whacked it from behind with a rubber hammer which is a bit risky. Much better to have a decent tool to do the job properly.
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Brilliant, you wouldn't have thought that could happen, would you ? You said the key was an aluminium-alloy type, mine that shredded was steel which was even more incredulous.

Don't forget to use locktite, at least blue. My B&S six-horse has shaken it's mountings twice, it doesn't help that the engine has four mounting positions yet the 'Harry' mower deck only allows three mounting bolts.

Slight digress. :D
Don't forget to put preservative in your two-stroke fuel right now, we'll discuss that in a later thread. I wasn't sure it was needed in four stroke fuel until I had starting problems last year with old fuel.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
mowerman
KG Regular

Hi , thank you for your responses. The puller tool is going to be made a bit better for future use. It also doubles up as a blade boss puller by putting the rods in the other holes. You can't see it from the pic but the top of the threaded rods are bent over to get behind the blade boss. I'll keep you posted when it is finished.

I tapped the keyway down in the the slot so it was snug and the flywheel did not move at all. Re torquing the cup on to the flywheel made a solid job. I have the Haynes manual on small engines and it is really useful as it has the spec's for these engines. I ran the engine for a while as it also charges the battery for the key start.

I saw someone try to remove a flywheel by hitting the top of the crank and it split the flywheel in two. I did take my time but it paid off. Hopefully, this posting will help someone else too. Thanks again to you all.

Simon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic