Merry Tiller Help

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Ref
KG Regular

Hi all I have an old Merry Tiller Titan the Briggs engine is 1966 according to the engine numbers, I am having trouble starting, everything feels OK, good compression etc however I am getting electric up to the spark plug when I crank it but not enough to create a spark has anybody got any tips, I did read it could be the points not sure where they are on the engine any help would be most welcome.
peter
KG Regular

Under the flywheel, which is behind the pull-starter assembly.

Any rate that's where they are on mine, you'll need a puller and its a keyed shaft. When we reassembled mine we didn't do a good enough (firm) job so when used the first time it slipped round a few degrees and chewed the aluminium key. :oops:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
John
KG Regular

My old MT can be a reluctant starter particularly after a long rest.
I find a whiff of Surestart or similar will get the old girl all fired up and eager in no time.
I remove the plug , pull the starting rope until the piston is at the bottom of its stroke, give a quick whiff of SS into the cylinder, plug back on and give her a sharp pull. She then starts singing.
This seems to work better than squirting SS into the carb. as is recommended. Don't overdo it though as you will dilute the lubrication in the cylinder.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic