strimmer heads

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

richard p
KG Regular

its a head like this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ryobi-Bent-Sh ... 53f9a0fdf8

the same head is currently on both straight and bent shaft machines which rotate in opposite directions. the spool is fitted different side up depending on which shaft youve got, one side is marked "this side out for straight shaft" and the other side marked for bent shaft. theres also an arrow which normally indicates the direction to wind the string...but on this one its the direction to rotate the spool to pull the line on.
if you hold the spool in yer right hand and the string in yer left and rotate the spool clockwise ,(in the direction of the arrow) you pull the string on to the spool...
if you hold the spool still and wrap the string round anticlockwise youre winding the string in the opposite direction to the arrow.

no i dont know what it says in the instruction book...its probably in its plastic bag somewhere in the depths of the shed .
richard p
KG Regular

ive been using a polycut strimmer head ..... its a plastic disc with 3 bolt on free swinging 4 inch plastic blades. on an old overgrown veg patch ...waist high grass, nettles, thistles the odd bramble and iron stake..... burnt through 2 tanks of fuel with no issues with the head at all... only time i switched the engine off was to refuel.... blades now need replacing but that was the last iron stake not cutting wear.
seems to be the answer for brush cutting ... not sure its the thing for edging a lawn., will probably stick with string for grass trimming.. but for coarse weeds and light fresh brambles the plastic blades are looking good.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

richard p wrote:ive been using a polycut strimmer head ..... its a plastic disc with 3 bolt on free swinging 4 inch plastic blades.

:oops: Thats the one I trashed very quickly. I studied the design before I bought it and decided it was worth a try.

I didn't pussy-foot with it, I already have kit that will cope if I use it sensibly. I pushed it into bramble and brown stems, late August heavy brown grasses and it just folded on me. The disc itself fragmented and did the the blades.

I'm not knocking the kit, I think the marketing suggests it's up to more than it actually is up to.

I was miffed because I invited the rep to consider what I had used it for against the marketing hype but I got a blank.

Having said all that this kit looks flawless, the head I have has paid it's way many times over and I would recommend anyone to try it as an upgrade.

I have never needed another bump-feed, i'm guessing this bump-feed is as good, if not better than the best money can buy.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic