A BIT OF A RANT AND A PROBLEM

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Compo
KG Regular

I bought a second hand mower of e bay, a mountfield 'thoroughbred' I cant get it to go, it did not go to well even after I purchased it. I took it to our local garden machinery shop DCF in Bridgwater, Somerset to be precise.

I could not believe it when the guy said we are busy, can't look at it for a week, and then.............well we might not be able to do it at all. The shop was empty, 2 mowers in there. I just think he could not be bothered. The mower was in the back of the car and he did not know what it was. After a few strained words about the recession and how people were struggling for work I brought it home.

Last winter it wasn't started in the allotment shed, and when I went to clean underneath it I lost some of the oil. I put some back in the sump but not enough possibly. Would this make a difference. How do I know if there is enough oil in it?

Secondly does anyone know any obvious things I could look at with this type of mower, If I took it somewhere else it would cost more than I paid for it.

Thanks for anyone that might be able to help

CoMpO
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
peter
KG Regular

Step one, search omline forna a manual.
Is it a Briggs &Stratton engine?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Hi Compo,

I bought a new Mountfield a couple of years back from B&Q, it didn't work properly from the start but for one reason or another didn't take it back, which I should have done. I struggled on with it, problems starting, surging when in use and smokey. In the end I did take it to the local workshop and they had a waiting list of 4 weeks at this time of year but they sorted a carburation problem with it and it's been OK since. Ironically I bought the new one to replace an old Mountfield that I decided to use on the allotment paths and the old one (touch wood) has started OK ever since, even after a winter in the shed with no attention.
Some workshops will not be happy servicing anything that you did not buy from them, more fool them in the present climate, but not a lot you can do about that.

Thinking the obvious have you taken the spark plug out and checked that it's not corroded up after the winter? And never turn a Mountfield on its side, only backwards or the oil runs where it shouldn't.

MW
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Compo wrote:Last winter it wasn't started in the allotment shed, and when I went to clean underneath it I lost some of the oil. I put some back in the sump but not enough possibly. Would this make a difference. How do I know if there is enough oil in it?

When you lost some of the oil, where did it go? If it got into the carburettor, that can stop it starting. I had this happen with a rotavator once after I had leant it out. It had been mis-handled, tipped over, and the carburettor got flooded with oil. I took the carb apart, cleaned it through and rinsed it with petrol. It worked fine after then, a little smokey at first but that cleared.. Some oil had got onto the spark plug, also, which is something always worth checking in any case — that it's clean, and that the gap is set right.
As far as oil levels are concerned, is there a little dipstick on the end of the filler cap?
Allotment, but little achieved.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Compo,
I would agree with Felix that you have probably got oil into the inner workings of your mower. It is not a good idea to tip over a mower sideways. If you have to look at the underneath tip the handle down and hold it with a sandbag or similar weight. Then you can look from the front underneath. If you still cannot see then put the back wheels/roller onto a breeze block to get the mower further off the floor.
That said most mowers these days have a safety cut out that will not let you start them with insufficient oil. If there is no dipstick then it is usual to fill to the level of the threads of the oil filler cap.
Regards Sally Wright.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic