Any two-stoke experts able to give help.

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

robo
KG Regular

hi Richard, thanks for your help, tonight I stripped the carb down completely I did not find anything amiss reassembled it tried to start it and got petrol pumping out of the exhaust, Ive checked all the carburettors I can find on the internet but I can not find one that matches, its probably a cheap foreign machine from a bankrupt company I will probably return it and tell him to use it for an anchor next time he goes on a boat trip
cheers dave
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Richard, maybe some type of fuel filters are more prone to clogging than others, not trying to complicate things of course. :? :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Well no, and yes.

What I mean is that this thread is all about ideas because whilst we all have ideas we don't have an expert or anyone with decisive means of solving what appears to be a multi-faccetted area of problems.

Often, as in my case, there is no obvious and distinct path to take in dealing with the machines symptoms. For example ; the machine won't start, it has a spark, it has fresh fuel that is getting to the point of combustion.

The fuel pick-up body, or fuel-filter was never clogged in the case of my machines though could easily be the source of problem with other machines that don't start. Another problem emerging from my local experts is that the rubber tubing used in the fuel lines rots, the plastic doesn't rot but goes hard-brittle and cracks. In both cases this could be a problem but wasn't in my case and the reason I keep using the expression, "Black-Art" is that my machines work perfectly though i'm surprised when they start.

Maybe the carbs need more attention than they get, would annual strip-downs replacing everything supplied in a service-kit solve the problem ? This is going to be my next route as soon as I can source a reliable source of these parts. The fuel pick-up bodies can easily be cleaned and checked, then replaced rather than renewed. I renewed mine more in desperation than as a solution.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
richard p
KG Regular

my experience suggests that all 2 stroke machines , whether premium brands or budget machines can subject to mysterious starting issues., often put down to one or a combination of dirty /old fuel, clogged fuel and air filters, rotted cracked fuel lines, carb rubber bits, spark plugs, other ignition problems, there seems to be no positive diagnostic route to quickly determine which of the above is causing the problem.
conseqently ive desided not to waste my precious time on chasing my tail , "expert " mechanic time soon adds up to an arm and a leg and has no gaurentee of fixing the problem for any length of time. used premium brand machines (probably being sold with undisclosed issues)seem to be priced similar to new budget brands,
so im now limiting my repairs to the quick and simple cleaning filters and changing spark plugs...if that dont cure it it goes on ebay with an accurate description of the fault and i buy a cheap new machine which will be run till it gives trouble then flogged on.
my new chainsaw was summit like 50 euros from germany via fleabay, it runs and cuts, god alone knows where it was made or where to get parts but if i get a couple of years occasional use out of it ill be happy.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I respect your resignation Richard, possibly 'as-expert' as we're going to get in the matter.

To prove your point we have a couple of old-boys who have earned local respect for repairing machine and getting-em going when no one else can. When I interviewed them about their expertise I got a smile and shrug of the shoulders together with a list of possibilities that could fit any one machine and as you point out they have absolutely no diagnostic route to speak of, just many years of fiddling expertise.

Another point you make is validated when I see machines being sold as, "Same as Kawasaki" and for less than half the price. The only difference I could see was the bump-feed was a piece-of-poo and the machine guards/covers were a bit tatty in comparison. The carbs were identical to the Walbro on my machines, just didn't have Walbro name on the small casting.

I've bought cheaper machine or many years and had good service though I was never happy with them, I now have better machines and am marginally more happy. When they start. :(
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic