Home Made Slug Catcher

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

broad ing man
KG Regular

It consists of all recycled materials, the top is some left over signwriters foam board off cuts, legs are turned scrap woods from my woodturning, the bowl is a CooP olive carton.

I make a small hollow in the soil and push the legs into the ground until the top edge is sitting level with the soil then place a few pellets insiide, the pellets do not touch the soil. To help attract the slugs I brush the edge of the container with cheap bitter and sometimes use it instead of pellets. We have caught many thousand slugs using this and others like it.
Attachments
2012-05-28 14.50.14.jpg
2012-05-28 14.50.14.jpg (53.11 KiB) Viewed 5760 times
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

"Patent Applied For" ?

Do you know, I have never tried the well-proven practice of beer in a container because the weather here is often so blustery and wet that any container left out would disappear down into the valley along with the lids from my compost bins.

This design solves the problem, well-done, "Cheap beer" ? It'll have to be Pedigree, I don't allow cheap beer past the door step. :D

I'm onto this design, thank-you, right now i'm looking for a lid as a starter and it's likely to be a five litre plastic container lid that the bird-food fat-balls come in.

I'll photograph and post as soon as the project is up-and-running.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
broad ing man
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:"Patent Applied For" ?

Do you know, I have never tried the well-proven practice of beer in a container because the weather here is often so blustery and wet that any container left out would disappear down into the valley along with the lids from my compost bins.

This design solves the problem, well-done, "Cheap beer" ? It'll have to be Pedigree, I don't allow cheap beer past the door step. :D

I'm onto this design, thank-you, right now i'm looking for a lid as a starter and it's likely to be a five litre plastic container lid that the bird-food fat-balls come in.

I'll photograph and post as soon as the project is up-and-running.

Patent is self certified in other places, :wink: I have used frizbies as lids all sorts of things in the past and settled on free foam board cut off's as its easy to cut and shape with minimal tooling.

Make the lid at least an inch wider than the container underneath and it will keep the rain out and diluting your beer.

Here is our compost bin, made from free past their best scaffold planks from a local scaffolder, should last at least 20 years, all we needed to do was cut off the worn ends of the boards.
Attachments
2012-03-21 18.03.19.jpg
2012-03-21 18.03.19.jpg (47.03 KiB) Viewed 5732 times
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Another good idea if you can find a scaffolder to drop some planks of at a decent price compared to new.

I use scaffold planks for a variety of uses from gardening to outside maintenance, they seem to be very durable though I never had a sensible answer from the builders-merchants about why they are durable.

New ones were about £15 each, I didn't use them for my raised beds preferring structural 9 X 2 treated boards though I almost uses scaffold-board. It has to be treated in some way and is much lighter to handle, for smaller raised beds it would be perfect.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
broad ing man
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:Another good idea if you can find a scaffolder to drop some planks of at a decent price compared to new.

I use scaffold planks for a variety of uses from gardening to outside maintenance, they seem to be very durable though I never had a sensible answer from the builders-merchants about why they are durable.

New ones were about £15 each, I didn't use them for my raised beds preferring structural 9 X 2 treated boards though I almost uses scaffold-board. It has to be treated in some way and is much lighter to handle, for smaller raised beds it would be perfect.

As far as I'm aware scaffold boards are not treated, they last quite a long time due to them nearly always able to dry out in situ, IE air around them, I do know if you put them away wet on top of each other they will decay in time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic