Wolseley Clearway

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Hiram D

Can anyone help me please? I have acquired a Wolseley Clearway machine. The drive belt runs from the engine to the cutter drive and has to turn a right-angle along the way. This is done by using a smooth pulley fixed to a bracket. I have managed to get the machine running well and completely freed-up but the pulley is missing and I do not know where I can get a replacement, either new or used. Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Thanks, Hiram D[/list]
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,

If it is the Clearway HS30 that you have.. which by the description of the twisted belt it is... then the old part number for the flat belt idler pulley was CL221.

Wolseley Webb garden machinery products were taken on by Qualcast/Atco in 1984 and it is they that would have continued the spares supply....but the years go by and we are now talking about an old machine..albeit an absolutely brilliant cutter, ahead of its time and without parallel.

Spares I suspect will be getting a bit scarce as the ususal policy is that once they are sold out of the Qualcast/Atco stores they are not remade for re-stocking.

I was involved with an attempt to get a hydrostat control cable for a HS 30 a few years ago..I checked and was told that there were 2 in stock centrally...a few days went by as I needed the ok to purchase the item.. but it was too late and they had gone..!! Likewise with a search for a blade shaft..

It may be worth checking with a few Qualcast/Atco service agents found from www.atco.co.uk or www.qualcast.co.uk then Atco/Qualcast Owners link then Service Agent postcode search. You will need to find a long established dealer who has been involved with Wolseley/Webb in days gone by to be familiar with the HS30.. or else you will get blank looks.!!!

I think the pulley in question was the subject of some problems at one time and seem to have a feeling that it may have been modified slightly through the Clearways history..???

I have a strong suspicion that you may have to end up having a pulley made up by a local engineering works...but if the rest of the machine has checked out all ok...it may be worth it as in fine fettle a HS30 can tame grass of jungle proportions...but do beware of stumps and logs etc.. that is the favourite to break the toothed belt if you are lucky :? and the blade shaft if unlucky.!! :shock: another job for the engineering works..

I have a parts list and operators manual scanned to disk for a 1974 model HS30.. of which you are welcome of a copy by e-mail. There will be detail differences on the later models notably with the motion control lever but largely the instructions will be correct.

All the best,
Clive.
Tigger
KG Regular

I know I've said this before........but every Forum should have a Clive. What would we do without you?
peter
KG Regular

Waste more money.
Create more junk.
Loose digits.
Bugger up machines.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Hiram D

Hello Guys, Thank you very much for your most helpful and rapid advice, Clive. I shall make contact with a local dealer initially and see where we go from there. Like others said on the messages, what would we do without a Clive! Thank you again.
Hiram D
Clive.
KG Regular

Couple of scans added...one of the parts page showing the idler pulley and a second of the belt adjustment with a glimpse of the idler pulley.
3rd with a clearer view of the idler pulley.

If you would like scans sent by e-mail of the operators handbook and parts lists contact me direct;
lincolnred [at] ic24.net

All the best,
Clive.
Hiram D

Hello Clive, You have been very helpful thus far so will see what I can do before I trouble you for anything further by email. It really is appreciated, thank you very much.
Hiram D
Rowly
KG Regular

Hello all
I am a newbie
I have got a smallholding in Wales.
I just bought a Wolseley Clearway, i have some marshgrass to eliminate
Is it possible to obtain a manual??. I noticed Clive mentioned one, although it was some time ago. If anyone can email me any info I would be very grateful
my email is
[email protected]
Thanks
Rowly
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Rowly,
Manuals have been sent by email....they are not the best scans in the world and from a very well thumbed and oiled original booklet at that......but I hope they will help your endeavours..

Clive.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

As Tigger said earlier in this topic, what would we do without Clive.
He is always willing to share his knowledge with others, and even goes far out of his way to help source infomation for people.

I know this as fact, as he sent me several links from other sites, regarding the question i had over what plugs to use in my Howard Gem.

For which i thank him.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Rowly,

Just to check that the info' arrived ok...
Did you receive the emails with the attached manual pages that I sent to your address as listed.??

Clive.
Catherine
KG Regular

I cant believe that this post has had 2,500 viewings and only 10 posts!!!
Clive.
KG Regular

Perhaps more visits then than total number of Clearway HS30 mowers that were ever made. :?

Or it gets found by the Wolseley Hornet owners club on a Classic Drive It day out.. :) :wink:

Clive. :wink:
vincegarden
KG Regular

Hi Clive,
just cam a cross this post,
I too have a clearaway! great machine but not running at moment, Do you still have the manual?

I d gladly pay for a copy or with thanks for a scan…

Vince
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

What a boy Clive.

We have a Clive who works for the local framer and whilst he hasn't yet gained the knowledge the forum Clive has this boy has potential.

He's as big as the tractors he drives, he can't read/write but who cares when you see the smile. He'll stop you in the middle of the road for chat when it's pissing with rain.

We got a Clive, not as knowledgable as our forum Clive but the smile says everything.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic