Leaks in soaker hose

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

We bought 3 lengths of soaker hose in May, joining them together to beat the hosepipe ban and are dismayed to find that already they have developed 3 pinhole size leaks where minute jets of water are spurting out.

Have complained to Hozelock who are sending connectors so the leaky bits can be cut out & rejoined but I'm very disappointed with their poor quality of & wonder whether these type of hoses are prone to this kind of leak? They definitely haven't been accidentally jabbed with any gardening implement.

Is there any kind of substance that can be stuck/glued onto the hosepipe when it's dried out to make an easier repair rather than having to go to the trouble of cutting the faulty bits out and rejoining them?
peter
KG Regular

Could corvids be pecking at it?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Screw a small self tapper screw into the 'ole. Cheers, Tony.
John
KG Regular

Hello Primrose
I have had a few problems like this over the years. I have cured it by heating the end of an old screwdriver on the gas hob and touching it on the pinhole. You do need to find and mark the hole. Splits can only be repaired by cutting and joining with a simple connector.
John

PS When fitting these hoses to connectors I always use a little w-up liquid to help ease the soaker hose into the connector. The end will easily split if you are not careful.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic