Cloggies or "back door" shoes

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I was watching the footware comparison video and wanted to express a rant about some types of Back Door Shoes.

I keep a pair by my back door and especially in warmer weather when I don't wear socks, or pop outdoors early morning with otherwise bare feet, I find that after a short time the soles of my feet get a little warm or sweaty. This has the effect of causing the inner sole in the "cloggie" to pull away and start wrinkling up. Trying to restick them back in position with glue isn't terribly successful.

It drives me nuts ! Is there a brand which doesn't have this problem?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi Primrose

if I am just popping out into the garden for a few moments with no heavy work intended I just use a pair of cheap slippers kept solely for the purpose, mine happen to be from Asda. The advantage of this is that should I misplace them anywhere I just have to tell one of the dogs to 'find slippers' and she gets a reward for doing so, works a treat.

For work in either the garden or the allotment, that may require more robust footwear, I use steel toe capped boots in summer and steel toe capped, fur lined, short wellington type boots in winter

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Diane
KG Regular

I have a pair of the plastic clogs too - but mine have a sort of felt lining (detachable for washing). Very comfy and non sweaty, and cheap. I keep them by the back door - saves getting chicken poop on my "proper" shoes.
Last edited by Diane on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
peter
KG Regular

Be thankful you are not my size (weight), not only do the disgraceful cardboard based liners become detached, but deprived of the (tiny) holding together effect of the liner glued on top of them the network of rubber walls surrounding the empty spaces, that together make up the "air-cushion" sole break and fold over.

This is on Cotton Trader Suede look slip on trainers, very practical externally, but let down (pun intended) by the collapsing sole.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

I think the designers unfortunately probably concentrate more of what happens to the outside of the shoe than what's happening on the inside.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I can't stand those backless things they are extremely dangerous if you have a lot of steps or slopes to negotiate. My usual gardening shoes are a worn out pair of Hotter shoes with velcro fasteners for dry weather and some short wellies when it's wet. Something with good grip, comfy inners and easy to put on and take off. The Hotters have good support too.
peter
KG Regular

Ah, now proper gardening shoes are a different matter.
I buy safety boots with steel toecap and soleplate.

New they are worn as office shoes.
They step down to long distance dog walking and by then are comfortably worn in.
Finally they become allotment shoes.

Always three pairs in use and when the allotment pair crack open, the sole comes off or the stitching rots out, then a new pair is bought and the remaining two pairs step down. I like to get maximum use out of my £60 odd quid, no vat on safety boots. 8)
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Monika
KG Regular

Old trainers for me on dry days, proper wellies on most days, certainly on the allotment, or, if it really is just a light job, clogs (wooden sole + leather tops) which I wear around the house in any case.
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

My old pair of Asda slippers by the back door for popping into the garden or greenhouse; old trainers or leather walking boots, depending on the weather, for the allotment; perhaps wellies on the odd occasion. Sorry, not steel toecaps - smack hand in admonishment :oops:
Colin2016
KG Regular

Got a pair of those plastic glogs £2.99 which I hange on a screw attache dto the fence so water drains away.

These are only used for popping to the shed or wheelie bin.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

That's two votes for Asda slippers so far then :)

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

I have two pair of cotton trader wellies they have rubber bottoms with brushed nylon tops with a zip up the front and fur lined only cheap I have one pair in the plot shed one pair on the boat they are great for winter I also have a cheap pair of walking boots for summer I think they cost £18 I usually go through a pair every twelve months
Westi
KG Regular

I tend to buy cheap trainers with velcro straps, but the thing I find is the flap over the front of the shoes becomes detached as I'm kneeling mostly weeding. I get a couple of years out of them, as even though it detaches they remain waterproof for a bit after this.

Westi
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

My back door shoes are Crocs - pretty comfortable, light and it doesn't matter if they get wet.....

And for the allotment I'm slightly ashamed to say I wear Hunters - I know they're expensive but the fit is good for me, and have wore them for years. Added bonus of the selection of patterns and colours. I love the look on my father in laws face when I turn up for the harvest wearing bright pink or flowery wellies. ... Followed by a tut and a 'really' .... :lol:

Pawty
Chantal
KG Regular

I have Crocs, but my preferred slip on "back door shoes" are my Emu slippers.

I love Emu, very expensive, but they have indoor/outdoor soles and last for years. I'm not completely crackers, I wear slippers in the house all the time and have a new pair every year or two. The old pair then becomes my back door shoes.

I also keep a pair in our shed the allotment and often wear them for gardening (we have raised beds and woodchip or grass paths so no mud). People used to comment... :lol:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic