Ride On Mower

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Geoff
KG Regular

I have a ride on mower that is approaching end of life, or at least it sounds like it, and I am having difficulty deciding what to buy.
My current mower, Hayter 13/30, has a lightweight lift-off grass catcher which I can carry and empty into my compost heap as long as I don't overfill it with damp grass. I don't compost all my clippings but it is good to be able to move some this way.
The problem I have is most of the mowers now have a more solid grass catcher that you empty by tipping rather than lifting off and the layout of my garden means I can't tip near the compost heaps. I want a cutting width similar to my current 30", the few mowers with lift-off bags achieve this with a single blade and I would prefer a twin bladed model (I have had bending issues with the single big blade and the twins are supposed to pick up better in damp conditions).
I am wondering if it is practical to buy or make one of those garden refuse sheets, put it somewhere I can tip then carry it to the compost heaps. I am asking if anybody else has experience of working this way. Any machine advice would be most welcome too!
Kayburton
KG Regular

Maybe you should pay attention to the lawn mowers in this review? I'm not sure if lawn mowers are now available with a removable grass container. My lawnmower does not pick the grass, I then pick the mow by hand. Of course, it is not so convenient, but the lawn mower cost me less.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic