Max/Min Thermometer.

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

snooky
KG Regular

My old thermometer bounced this morning and didn't do it much good.Looked for a new one on line and could only find digital versions,would like the old fashioned mercury type.Anyone have an idea where I might purchase one?Or are they like Rocking Horse poo these days.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
sally wright
KG Regular

Mercury ones are not available anymore. They have been replaced with alcohol(?) ones. These have a big disadvantage; the dye used to make the readings legible fades so they don't last very long. Here is one I found online.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TFA-Dostmann-G ... 44&sr=8-11
Westi
KG Regular

Mines a bit like what Sally has linked, but has a re-set button. I won't be down until Sunday so will check which one but don't think it is ETOH in it, but bought off same site.
Westi
Chantal
KG Regular

I have one that is max/min both dye and digital with a reset button. I've had it a few years, bought it from Wilkinson's and they still sell them.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
sally wright
KG Regular

I Should have mentioned this; with some of the cheaper thermometers you should check that the readings are the same on both sides of the gauge. I have been presented with thermometers where the readings displayed differed by over a degree centigrade. I think it has something to do with the way the numerical scales are attached to the backing board.

You should also make sure that there are no breaks in the liquid column, the marking pieces should not be stuck in the display liquid portion nor should there be globules of the marker dye in the end bulbs. All these faults indicate rough handling of the thermometer; they are not always correctable and all will make the readings inaccurate.

I put up the link to the online seller merely to show that they are still available. I would urge you to purchase your new thermometer in person to allow you to check for the above faults and to choose an undamaged device.

regards Sally Wright.
snooky
KG Regular

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic