Second hand tools

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Second hand tools

Postby PLUMPUDDING » Sat May 19, 2018 4:58 pm

An old chap we know was clearing out the garage of a deceased friend and donated some tools. I've been trying them out and they are excellent. I used the Swan neck hoe to earth up the potatoes and it was a pleasure to use. Nice sharp blade, good weight and a long nicely shaped handle. I've tried another one today. One side has three tines and the other a push/pull hoe. It is only about 4 inches wide so perfect for going between rows. That has also got a really nice handle and I'm wondering if it is home made. I can't find any makers' names but I hadn't got my specs on so I'll have another look.

I've not seen anything in the shops to match them, and my new resolution is to do a lot more hoeing. I say that every year but now I've got tools that are enjoyable to use I might keep it up.
0 x
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Re: Second hand tools

Postby oldherbaceous » Sat May 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Dear Plumpudding, I always think most old tools are a lot better in design, than a lot of the modern ones. It probably was because they were being used all day, six days of the week, by full time gardeners then...completely different to the gimmicky items they come up with now....
3 x
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Postby Westi » Sat May 19, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi PP!

My favourite tool which we think is an apprentice piece is a small but extremely sharp fork. It has initials carved into the handle but unfortunately they mean nothing except to the original owner. The tines are not very long but as it is so sharp is great for loosening compacted soil. Not practical on the allotment so keep it at home. Also being smaller if works among the beds as well. I bought it at a market in Lymington & a hoe which sharpens brilliantly. Unfortunately the man running the stall has died but he had so many unusual things & all interesting & well made.
0 x
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Postby PLUMPUDDING » Sat May 19, 2018 9:26 pm

Hi Westi, you were lucky to have a stall like that. I can't think of any more round here, I suppose car boot sales are another source or those antique outlets.
1 x

Return to “Tools and Machinery”