September Poll

Get the latest gardening news, and let us know what you think...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud, KG magazine, KG Emma

Do you exhibit your fruit or veg at your local show?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:07 am

Yes
19%
No
81%

Total votes: 21
KGAdmin
Site Admin

An easy one this month!
Arnie
KG Regular

I just love everthing about local Flower & Vegetable Shows :D the banter :lol: talking to other growers leaning how to get better crops.

But I am afraid that the modern allotment holders do not take to them very much which is so sad as you can learn an awful lot from visiting these shows :(

I have heard it said that its not for them its for flat cap & whippet brigade which in my humble opinion is unfair :x :cry: if it wasn't for the flat cap brigade who in the 70's 80's & 90's kept the allotments going when they weren't fashionable and stopped them building houses on them were would they Be :shock:

It is I believe that because of this misguide attitude We have lost our local show (Lark Lane) after 25 years :shock: :( :cry: This is despite the fact that vast majiorty of allotments in the south Liverpool area were I live are full and hundreds of people on the waiting lists :) This also goes for the rest of Liverpool as well as plots around the city are full and have waiting list :)

Sorry about this :oops: :roll: but I feel I had to get this across that you must Please support you local Show or it will go to the wall :shock: :cry: :twisted: because you will miss it when it has gone belive me it is not fun.

Best Wishes & Kind Regards

Kevin :( :wink:
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Kevin,
We lost our village show because of the 'Panama Hat Brigade' who know sod all about gardening or vegetables.
Their gardeners grew wonderful flowers and they then put them into the show though they had never got their hands dirty.
They were not above cheating and all the prizes went their way. The locals got fed up with this and one year gave the committee an ultimatum to get some proper judges or else. They took the or else and closed the show down. That was more than 5 years ago and although people want a show nobody seems keen to do the legwork.
As a professional grower, although I was retired, I was not allowed to enter anything.
JB.
Bren
KG Regular

Our local allotment show was cancelled last Saturday due to the weather conditions for safety reasons,ground too slippery.
Bren
nemo
KG Regular

i have been to many agricultural shows etc in Munster south west ireland and have never seen or heard of a show for your vegetable etc.so suck it up and be happy there are a few shows in you locality that show vegetable.things could be worse as it is here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic