April 2008 Poll: Do you buy plug plants?

Get the latest gardening news, and let us know what you think...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud, KG magazine, KG Emma

Do you buy plug plants?

Poll ended at Thu May 01, 2008 1:23 pm

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 30
KGAdmin
Site Admin

April's Poll - will run during April only!

KGAdmin
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I find the packs of different brassicas etc useful if the seeds have failed, or I've been too late to get things sown, or forgotten a particular variety. The pack of different coloured cauliflowers I bought last year were excellent as I usually have a bit of trouble raising good ones from seed, and the little plants did extemely well and tasted and looked good too.
penny
KG Regular

that sounds great plumpudding. I am late because of new allotment and nowhere with brassicas. Where did you get them from?
Penny
So far the only thing that's green on my allotment is me.
Tigger
KG Regular

Are you only asking about veg plants KG?
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I think they were from T & M they were advertised in a magazine, but a bit later in the year than now.
I was going to put a photo on, but have no idea how to do it.[/img][/url]
KGAdmin
Site Admin

Primarily veg, but plug plants in general really. Sure most KG'ers would think of veg first.

KGAdmin
penny
KG Regular

I have just ordered some from Delfland Nurseries brassica collection and some toms (mine look very late - only just up) + romanesco cauliflower and celeriac. £40 for what will be 90 plugs! and all organic. I guess we grow our own for the thrill of it?
Penny
So far the only thing that's green on my allotment is me.
Tigger
KG Regular

Thanks for that KGAdmin. I never buy them for veg but I do sometimes for flowers, so I'll vote 'no'.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well i don't buy veg plugs only flower plugs, but i voted yes, i hope that doesn't mess things up.
I did vote the other day before there had been any replies. :oops:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Bren
KG Regular

I never buy vegetable plugs but I do buy flower plugs for hanging baskets and containers.
Bren
Johnboy
KG Regular

Although I have now retired I was a supplier of plug vegetable plug plants to mail order, retail and commercial outlets and although I still supply my neighbours and friends I suppose my vote must be a no.
There seems to be some reluctance, by KGM readers, to buy vegetable plugs which is really to be expected as we are all growers. Plug plants are very handy for those who want to grow their own but quite frankly do not have the time to look after seedlings in their formative weeks and plugs fill that gap.
I used to have a database of over 2000 customers mail order so they are quite popular with some growers.
JB.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

I bought 50 plug brassicas from Suttons last summer as my Claret broccoli had failed. They were excellent value for money and enabled me to try out some varieties I hadn't previously grown - there were 5 lots of 10. However at £10.95 these seem to be much cheaper than the plug plants currently on offer. Unless these are good value for money and offer varieties I want I wouldn't normally buy them. As for flowers, I tend to buy whatever is on offer in the local diy or gardening centres when I need them.
Binky
KG Regular

Yes, I get mine from Delfland Nurseries. Their original selection packs are very good value - 70 brassica plants for £11.50. The plants have always been sturdy and healthy and have grown on well. They also send you an e-mail when they have despatched the plants so you can get yourself organised. I know that growing your own from seed is more satisfying but sometimes there just isn't enough time.
Bren
KG Regular

I was at a garden centre this afternoon and they had little veg. plants for sale, not little plugs but 12 plants in small black trays at £2.99 a tray,all the brassaca family and 4 types of lettuce also carrots, shallots were 6 in a tray for the same price, I thought that was expensive it worked out about 25p for a little lettuce plant you still had to grow on weed and feed. people looked at them but walked away without buying any.
Bren
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic