KG NEWS TOPIC: Super sales for superfoods

Get the latest gardening news, and let us know what you think...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud, KG magazine, KG Emma

KGAdmin
Site Admin

Super sales for superfoods

New statistics based on data from supermarket checkouts show that the UK public has cottoned on to what allotment gardeners have known all along, eating fresh foods and ingredients is good for you.
Nutritional experts have named a dozen easy-to-find superfoods, which, if worked into the diet, can do wonders for the health. And the best news is that many of these are easy to grow at home. The list includes beans, blueberries, broccoli, oranges, pumpkins, spinach, tomatoes, walnuts and yogurt.

According to market research company AC Nielsen, the biggest growing superfood is the blueberry – sales have more than doubled (+132 per cent) in the last two years. In the 12 months to May 2005 we spent just over £40 million on blueberries in Britain, but this has now soared to around £95 million in the latest 12 months. Spinach sales have grown 26 per cent in the same period with the market now being worth £42 million. Tomato sales have also increased by 16 per cent – the tomato market is worth £625 million and so this accounts for an additional £86 million.

Among other superfoods, sales of shelled walnuts, described as 'nutritional powerhouses' that are high in fibre and polyunsaturated fats and are believed to help lower cholesterol, have grown over 30 per cent in the last two years and sales of fresh beans have grown 13 per cent – this market being worth around £160 million.
Geoff
KG Regular

I thought the term superfood was being rightly banned. Balanced diet of fresh additive free food is all that matters.
peter
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:I thought the term superfood was being rightly banned. Balanced diet of fresh additive free food is all that matters.

Think there is also an element of "so prove it" being aimed at the grower/suplier/vendor claims for these items. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Chantal
KG Regular

I can well believe the fresh bean market is worth £160 million. In Tesco last year some poor deluded fools were paying nearly £3 for around 15 very large and stringy looking runner beans. :roll:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Geoff
KG Regular

I must take it all back.
The GW special about "superfoods" was not only a good programme thoroughly killing the term superfood but it was also fronted by RdeT - two surprises in one!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Geoff, i second your views on the progamme last night.

So the older folk in this Country were right all the time. :)

As for some of the goodies from the veg being lost into the water when boiled, thats probably why the older folk always used it to make their gravy with it. :wink:

Lets hope more people will buy fresh and local, or even better grow it themselves.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Didn't think we were that old but is there any other way to make gravy?
Chantal
KG Regular

I know a few people who just add water to Bisto; others buy it ready made from the supermarket. :roll:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic