Heritage seeds free

Get the latest gardening news, and let us know what you think...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud, KG magazine, KG Emma

KG magazine
KG Regular

Last month we gave you an insight into the great work of the Heritage Seed Library (HSL) based at Garden Organic’s Ryton Organic Gardens near Coventry. Now HSL has seed samples from some of the vegetable varieties in its collection (six packets of seed) to send to 10 KG readers.

The varieties are:
Climbing French bean ‘Mrs Fortune’s’ – Prolific variety, giving tender pods for eating as green beans. The plump seeds could also be used as dried beans.

More details and a picture of these can be found in KG February 2007.

Carrot ‘Red Elephant’ – Long tapered carrot with deep orange flesh.

Tomato ‘Little Tatyana’
– Cordon (indeterminate) variety; short plants with small squat red fruit.

Tomato ‘Derby Striped Pink/Yellow’
– Cordon (indeterminate) variety with unusually striped fruit. Originally developed at the Glasshouse Crops Research Institute in the 60s.

Lettuce ‘Soulie’
– A loose soft cos lettuce, originally a French family heirloom.

Pea ‘Frueher Heirich’ – Also known as ‘Early Henry’, this old commercial variety is a hardy mangetout pea growing up to 1.5m (5ft) tall.

Send your name and address on a postcard/back of an envelope to: HSL/KG Seed Giveaway, Heritage Seed Library, Garden Organic, Coventry CV8 3LG. Closing date Friday 2 March. Winners will be the first names drawn. If you do not wish to receive information about HSL/Garden Organic please mark X after you name.
Grow your own fruit and veg with the UK's No. 1 Kitchen Garden magazine
www.kitchengarden.co.uk
lez
KG Regular

I wonder how people got on with these seeds they grew? Is the answer in another area? Also will you be doing it again?
Primrose
KG Regular

As an aside I have grown some heritage tomatoes in the past from seeds which were given to me. - can't remember their names now, but was disappointed In them and prefer some of the modern varieties
Have also occasionally been able to taste some heritage apples and the traditionalists will probably boo me when I confess to much preferring the taste, flavour and juiciness of a Pink Lady!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic