Organic Gardening magazine

Get the latest gardening news, and let us know what you think...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud, KG magazine, KG Emma

KG magazine
KG Regular

Kitchen Garden, Britain’s number one magazine for the serious fruit and vegetable grower has a new stable mate in the form of Organic Gardening. Mortons Media Group Ltd are delighted to announce they have purchased Organic Gardening, the only true organic gardening title on the market. Founded in 1988, and in continuous publication ever since, it brings to 20 titles published by the media company.

Managing Director of Mortons Media Group Ltd Terry Clark commented: ‘We are delighted to have acquired Organic Gardening which has many synergies with Kitchen Garden, a title which has seen massive year-on-year growth in high street sales. We have exciting plans for the title and we are confident we can ride on the back of the huge interest in growing organic food.’

The magazine has been owned and run by run by husband and wife team Gaby Bartai Bevan and Geoffrey Bevan from their home in the Shetlands. Gaby, who has also edited the magazine, will continue in this role under the new ownership.

‘I am looking forward to working with a larger company who will have the time and resource to develop the magazine to its full potential,’ said Gaby.

‘Gardening organically is a satisfying and rewarding activity in its own right, but Organic Gardening places it in the context of the wider environment and today’s urgent need for practices which promote sustainability, encourage biodiversity and develop an eco-friendly approach to nature,’ she added.

News links:
Organic Gardening website
Mortons Media Group Ltd website
Tigger
KG Regular

Excellent news. That's s few more of my pennies diverted to Mortons then. :D
JacquieB
KG Regular

Excellent news it is! Hopefully Mortons / the KG readers will be able to persuade more shops to take it - I have been an irregular reader of Organic Garden magazine in the past as I have only ever found it in the Wisley shop and I only ever go there once a year or so (it being a 100 mile round trip and I neglect the garden and lottie enough!)
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Is it really true to say that Organic Gardening is "the only true organic gardening title on the market"? What about the "Organic Way", the magazine of GardenOrganic?

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
TonyF
KG Regular

Isn't Organic Way only available on subscription to members of HDRA/Garden Organic? And to be honest, since Garden Organic went so far up market, it's so glossy and aimed at raising money and its own campaigns, it seems to have lost the real old fashioned Lawrence Hills gardening ethos.
TonyF

24220, Berbiguieres, France
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tony,
How right you are. I feel that all the Organic Organizations seem to forget their very humble beginnings and want to be so "Up Market" and their prices go the same.
HDRA charged £9. to enter their Potato Day and I thought that an absolute ramp.
I will not visit them again. I went there for 25
spuds for an experiment and drove 150 round trip which meant very expensive seed potatoes!
I feel that Lawrence would have been horrified at the prices being charged.
Chantal looked at an Organic Chicken and this must have been gold plated but I cannot remember actually how much it was but vastly over priced!
HDRA seem to have followed the Soil Association and to me that was a very poor decision on somebodies part.
JB.
Chantal
KG Regular

The chicken was incredibly expensive (£15?) as I recall and it wasn't a particularly big chicken. It stayed on the shelf. :roll: There's nothing at Garden Organic in the food line that's value for money in my opinion. There's organic and there's rip-off.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Mr Potato Head

Just thought I'd point out the Organic Gardening is only £2.95, and you can buy a single issue online! :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic