Indian summer for pests

Get the latest gardening news, and let us know what you think...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud, KG magazine, KG Emma

robo
KG Regular

Public schools play a different type of rugby than I did but you are right Geoff ,and they still do a lot of damage to my type of rugby
Johnboy
KG Regular

My school played a lot of rugby and back in those days it wasn't touch rugby but the hard game from the off. I played ruby until I was 38 and had to pack up due to an accident. I take it that Robo played League and I played Union but fail to understand who does the damage to who. There are very few union professional players who went to a public school and as an RAF apprentice we regularly knocked seven shades of s---t out of them. People who play and watch League have some funny ideas about the better game Union and I have heard so many times how snobby we are in Union.
Let me make it quite clear that Union players are not at all how Robo imagines them to be. Certainly in my younger days that may have been truth but not today. It is more a north/south divide nowadays and that is pure politics at work.
I wish both games to be free of politics and if you support a different game to me so what, just enjoy it, and leave the politics out of it. Wouldn't life be boring if we all had to conform to the wishes of others. Enjoy your game Robo and forget that there is another type played elsewhere.
JB.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I too played, started in the back row and migrated forwards as I got heavier and slower, even ended up at loosehead for a bit, which in the '70's was unusual for a 6 foot 4 lock/no8. Played amateur league at school a bit, but our new PE teacher was a centre for Leicester Tigers, so that was stopped and we all played Union after that.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
robo
KG Regular

John boy you have me wrong ,yes league is my game but I've nothing against union it's more of the old school brigade that wind me up ,I think both games have learned from each other we have had converts from union over the years some in particular have been brilliant and union is just the same when you get players like Jason Robinson both codes can enjoy his skills unless he is playing against you
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Robo,
Thankfully the old school tie brigade are very much on the wain around this area. I live around three miles from the Welsh border where rugby is a normal people's game and no cliques or snobby bar stewards.
I cannot say that I exactly enjoy league but I do watch in on tv and the way both games are gathering momentum and the people going to the matches is very heartening. Long may you enjoy your game.
JB.
robo
KG Regular

Cheers John boy , I must say last Thursday's match was hard to take when we were beaten in extra time by a drop goal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic