Countryfile: peat, carbon stores & making peat-free compost

Get the latest gardening news, and let us know what you think...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud, KG magazine, KG Emma

John Walker
KG Regular

BBC Countryfile (29.4.12) carried a well-informed report on the value of peatlands as carbon stores, the ongoing problems of mining peat for garden use, and a look at how peat-free composts are being manufactured from UK garden and other waste streams.

For anyone who missed it, the programme is available to watch again (until 6.5.12) via the BBC iPlayer. The relevant piece is in two parts, starting at 7 mins in (with the second segment at 27 min in).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 9_04_2012/
Geoff
KG Regular

Typical biased coverage. Very correct in describing how upland peat can be a fine carbon store but totally missing the fact that the lowland exploited areas are a tiny fraction of the total area. Banning the shotgun would do more for carbon capture than banning peat will.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I would have thought that the right place to complain if you thought it biased would be to the BBC Geoff, not on John's post, I was pleased to see him posting here again and he is entitled to post his link without it being dismissed as biased. It would be nice if we could be more tolerant of diverse ideas here is all I am trying to say
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Westi
KG Regular

Absolutely Nature's Babe totally agree it is nice to see John back on here and everyone should be entitled to an opinion. I read John's post but they are a bit over my head at times but they are interesting as are the replies when not directed at John but rather at the content expressed.

I saw this programme and thought of the guys on here doing the experiments which I think give some validity to what they are saying - proof in the pudding so to speak; but also the info on the brands of compost available and the great variances in them which obviously affect the outcome so we also have to consider the variables in their production doesn't help. Prehaps John can point us in the right direction of a peat free compost that actually performs - I'm willing to change and support protecting the peat habitats if I can get a good sustained performance from a compost, as reading between the lines also seems to be the message from others.

Westi

Westi
Westi
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

John's article appears in June's KG Magazine Westi, which I bought today, it was interesting and informative comparing composts their properties and best uses. :D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic