MANURE

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Compo
KG Regular

Hi Folks

Have planted my first earlies this week, and have filled the trench with horse manure, which has been in bags for a couple of months, is it too fresh? I could get the spuds out and dig the manure in with some more soil, it was beginning to rot but not quite there yet, any ideas?

Compo (slightly embarassed)
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
arthur e
KG Regular

Compo don't worry I've planted Tatties in fresh cow manure for years and it does just fine. I just dig a trench put a layer of dung in, sprinkle a bit of soil back in, then push the tatties into the soil and dung, always get good results, then again I live in tattie country.
Compo
KG Regular

Must be alright then Arthur cos they are scottish tatties, what part of haggis-land de ye cum fe?

Thanks for that
arthur e
KG Regular

Hi Compo
I'm a geordie but I have lived here in the north east of Scotland near Peterhead for 30 years after leaving the RAF in 83 after 22 years. Johnboy if youre watching, I worked on Beverlies in Kenya and Aden in 64 is that about the time you were on them.
Compo
KG Regular

Ah right I was a submariner from 75 to 2001, served in Faslane, Helensburgh for many a happy stint, love the West Highlands and the walking, great views fantastic beer and food, going back for a hol soon I hope.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic