Sow two seeds to a pot

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Allan
KG Regular

Individual pots OK as long as 16 exactly fit into my seed trays Maybe individual holes in module trays, but as I have already pointed out there can be circumstances where it is expedient to put more than one seed per module.I should know by now, I have proved it to my satisfaction too many times for doubt to come into it, shadows or not.
Allan
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Colin,
I think the modules that Tigger is describing are what are called Cavity inserts (strange Name)which are inserted into a standard seed tray. These are available in several different sizes and are quite handy but probaly the best are 40 modules in one sheet that tear into 4x10 they are the ideal size.
The Modules that I use are professional ones made by Linpac and are 600mmx400mm with either 126 modules or 216 modules and for things like initially growing
Herbs such as Parsley 576 Module trays. I also sow Leeks in that size.
Since I retired I only part fill the trays to grow all I need.
I have many other cheaper trays but they are all commercial.
I shall be taking a selection to the Malvern Spring Show if you can be coaxed away from Bristol!
I have a stock of pots of various sizes and I am filling the car up to give them away.
The pots that many people will find handy are 8cm Continental Round Terracotta. My records show that I have a stock in excess of 130,000 so I certainly wouldn't miss the odd 1000 or so pots. They are about the same size as Richards Yoghurt pots only a lot sturdier with the correct drainage holes. They are ideal for potting on Brassicas prior to planting out. These pots have all been used umpteem times as they were use in the nursery for prooving rooted shrub cuttings before potting on to 11/2L or 2L pots.
JB.
Allan
KG Regular

Johnboy, are you going to have a garage sale or maybe a closing down sale ever. If you do, please post details.
I can't see me buying anything bulky at Malvern and having to cart it even to the car park. I probably have more than enough of most that I require already.
I am making do with my existing Propapaks for many things, Polycell flexible filler has proved excellent for patching up expanded poystyrene. It might even be possible to make replacements with expanding foam filler and with AP gone out of business nobody is going to quibble about near-copies now.
Tigger
KG Regular

I'd love some JB and I don't mind how far I have to carry them!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic