San Marzono & Roma Tomatoes - Outdoors?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Chez
KG Regular

I have just sown these two varieties, but cannot find any direction on whether they are outdoor or greenhouse. Seeds came without instructions (bought cheaply) and I cannot find clear info on the Internet either.

This is the second year I haven't checked. That's because all toms in NZ grow outside, so I never think about it. After unintentionally filling the greenhouse with Big Boy toms last year, OH has asked me about these ones. Here we go again? :oops:
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
Tigger
KG Regular

I grow them indoors, but like many, I expect they can be grown outdoors (especially if we have a hot summer), but they'll have thicker skins if grown outside.
sandersj89
KG Moderator

I grow San Marzona and found it prefers it outside.

They made nice strong bushy plants with good yield that were great for cooking with. They did succumb to blight in late August though.

The fruit also dried really well and did not have too many seeds.

I am growing it again this year, first true leaves showing at the moment.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Interesting Tigger, I grew mine last year undercover and outside and the ourside ones cropped far better but the indoor crop did not suffer from blight.

Can comment about the skins as we cooked or "sun dried" nearly all ours.

Jerry

pigletwillie
KG Regular

I have both ready for inside and out, with the inside ones a back up in case blight stikes. It doesnt matter about the skins on San Marzano as they are primarily a cooking tomato and are not great at all on the plate raw.

As well as Roma (which eats better) I have tried this year Rio Grande which is supposed to be more prolific than Roma and better as an eating tomato.

Do you dry yours in the oven Jerry and do they keep for long
Kindest regards Piglet

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind".
Chez
KG Regular

What a relief! Thanks all. We don't really have the room to accommodate them. We're having a go with melons and aubergines in the greenhouse this year, so are limited re tomato space.

Glad to hear confirmation of the cooking qualities of these varieties too. That's just what we bought them for. We oven roast tomatoes to the point that they develop that intense 'sundried' flavour, but are still pulpy. Wonderful on toast and for a more intense pasta sauce. Some we cook for less time, and the pulp from these is more suitable for soups, we find. Jerry, I would also be very interested in your method for sundried toms proper. Do you just keep them in the oven for longer?
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Yes, we oven dry loads each year. This year I have a dehydrator for the first time to try as tying up the oven for hours at a time can be a pain. Wish we had an Aga as they work really well for this.

Once dry we store in kilner jars with a covering of olive oil. Then store in the fridge or a cool dark spot. They keep for months, we still have a couple of jars left from last year.

To dry them I slice them in half or quarters and lay on a rack in a baking tray. I then sprinkle over a little malden sea salt and some mixed herbs and pop them in a low over, 80 degree, for a few hours until they start to colour and most of the moisture is driven out.

HTH

Jeremy
Last edited by sandersj89 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chantal
KG Regular

I grew great Roma outside last year but was hit with blight, so I picked all the green tomatoes asap and ripened them indoors. They were fabulous and much better than the greenhouse ones.
I'm going to grow San Marzano and Roma outdoors but with a polythene shelter (one side and over the top) to try and prevent blight, as recommended by Mr Flowerdew.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic