greenhouse

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Meow
KG Regular

i'm planning on buying a new greenhouse soon but i dont know if i should get glass panes or polycarbonate.
my allotment site can get quite windy and flooded last year.
which would you recommend? thanks
glallotments
KG Regular

Difficult choice really- Polycarbonate is less likely to smash but one greenhouse on out site has this instead of glass and in very windy weather it has been known to flex and blow out of the frame.
williamraed
KG Regular

First remember that which type or size buy the green house, according you should buy the greenhouse kit such as greenhouse frame size, doors size, louver windows with automatic openers, rain gutters, potting tables, and a solar-light.
grow light is essential for indoor growing
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I prefer glass, but if it is a very windy site you might be better with polycarbonate, as it won't break even if it blows out or gets hit by flying objects.
Our allotment site was very windy and even if our greenhouse stayed in tact, there were pieces of debris flying about from other plots.

The panes are more likely to stay put if you put some clear sealant along the edges when you fit them.
Chantal
KG Regular

I had a polycarbonate greenhouse and I would NEVER recommend one to anyone else.

The panes certainly didn't shatter, but great chunks of the stuff broke off and blew all over the place. Every time there was so much as a stiff breeze I had to go round the gardens collecting the bits which I then had to tape back in place. After a year I had as much greenhouse tape as polycarbonate.

I demolished the greenhouse - didn't take long as it was doing it's own job, and bought a proper one with horticultural glass. I now have two of these and have had no problems in 15 years.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Gerry
KG Regular

I've had a glass greenhouse for 14 years, it's in a windy position and I have not had any problems.
Glass of course is more prone to breakage and could be dangerous with children around. If this is a concern you can get them fitted with safety glass.
I would certainly choose glass again.
The best tip I got when buying my greenhouse was "If funds and space allow get one bigger than you think you need".

Regards, Gerry.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Glass would be my choice. However, it's not wind that breaks glass, usually, but stones and bits of debris, especially stones which have been hurled. The greenhouses on my local allotment are encased in protective mesh cages as a defence against vandalism. For the same reason, I wouldn't want to spend money on a greenhouse to then have it done in. You ought to be able to get hold a greenhouse for free, if you are willing to put in a bit of work dismantling it. They're often listed in free ads. I have acquired 4 of them this way over the years, for myself and other people.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Monika
KG Regular

We have had a glass greenhouse (Alton glass to ground) for almost 40 years, Including a move 32 years ago, and have been very happy with it. We had to do some major repairs about 5 years ago to both the glass (cracked rather than broken) and some of the woodwork, but it is fine again now.
So, yes, I would definitely recommend glass and also a wood frame, because one can easily repair it!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic