Cucumber plant - yellowing leaves

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

percy
KG Regular

Hello all,

My first post, this.

I have 4 cucumbers in a mini-greenhouse - each year they produce well to start with .... and then the leaves start to turn pale green and then golden before becoming dried pale brown leaves. This starts at the bottom and then works upwards. The leaves often have small brown patches at the early stage of their decline.

Meanwhile the plants continue to produce good cucumbers ... that is until almost all the leaves are affected.

I have tried "under" and "over" watering - adding additional feed and am now considering whether it might be spider mite. I have tried looking under the leaves with a magnifying glass but I can see no "infestation".

Any ideas or information would be appreciated.
Granny
KG Regular

My cucumbers leaves always go yellow. It doesn't seem to do any harm. The new leaves are always green. I just assumed they were supposed to do that.
-----------------
Granny
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Are they in pots, growbags or border soil ? Overwinter I suggest concentrate on improving soil condition and humus content, add a little rootgrow in the bottom of the planting hole when planting cucumbers next year, which will help plants extend root system and obtain more nutrients and water, they are hungry feeders becaiuse they are so productive.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
percy
KG Regular

Thankings for the responses.

Yes, new leaves are a lovely dark green. Issue for me is that I think the lack of viable leaves come September leads to the plant being able to successfuly produce/mature any more cucumbers - when I would hope to have half a dozen or so futher fruits.

And they are in growbags - fresh each year - in a mini greenhouse up against a wall. Lovely.

I have ordered some spider mite nemotodes - they may come too late but it is something to try.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic