Sunburnt Tomatoes?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin Miles
KG Regular

A few weeks ago I moved my Tomato plants from the bedroom windowsill to the greenhouse in the vain hope that the weather was improving. And moved them back inside that evening! However, during that brief period of time in the greenhouse the seed leaves appeared to be scorched at the tips and over the next few weeks they withered and died. Well, as they often die anyway I didn't worry. But a few days ago I moved them back into the greenhouse and, until yesterday they were fine. And of course I was out all day yesterday and very sunny, so I am told. Now the real leaves have what looks like bleach marks. Anyone any suggestions as to cause, other than straight-forward overexposure to sunlight, which seems very odd? I've grown tomatoes for 40 years and never experienced anything like this before. I've lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower and calabrese plants in the greenhouse and they are unmarked.
Deb P
KG Regular

How odd, mine are exactly the same. I potted mine up and put them in my unheated greenhouse the day before yesterday, but inside a mini plastic greenhouse thingy. I was out all yesterday, forgot to open up the mini greenhouse before I went, and my toms are all as you describe, I presume sunlight on dew covered leaves has scorched 'em. Max temp was 80 degrees according to my thermometer!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic