Maggots/larvae in my comfrey tea

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Granny
KG Regular

I've be brewing comfrey tea (just leaves in water in a bucket with a lid on it) for about 3 weeks. When I took the lid off today there were a lot of maggotty things with a long thread like tail wriggling about in it. About an inch long, white, and quite a few of them seemed to be almost tied together at the end of their tails, while others were swimming alone. I've never seen anything quite like them before. Any ideas?
-----------------------
Granny
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Granny, could they possibly be Gnat larvae!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Yes , sounds like gnat larvae. To avoid these another way is to pack comfrey leaves tight in a big screw top jar they will dissolve into a black treacly liquid, which you can then dilute. Or I guess you could fine net the top of your bucket.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Granny,
If you fill up with a little more water so that you have a clear water surface put a teaspoon of vegetable oil in the container and you will suffocate as the grubs need oxygen with the oil film this will be denied to them. The oil wil not harm any of you plants.
JB.
Granny
KG Regular

Thanks for replies and useful advice. I'm amazed that things so big only produce a gnat!
--------------------
Granny
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic