Onion sets

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Brenjon

I have bouoght 2 nets of onion sets and i suspect i have bought too many. Would it be possible to store the other net for planting next year and if so what would be the best method of doing so. or will they not keep for another year.
The ground is very wet in Lancashire now with further rain forecast. Would it be better to leave the planting until it dries up . Advice welcome.
Regards Brenjon
sandersj89
KG Moderator

I am afraid they wont keep until next year and will sprout even if not planted.

I have not planted my new season sets just yet for the very reason the soil is too wet at the moment but you can start them on in pots/trays if you want to.

HTH

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Chantal
KG Regular

Why not put them into module trays in the greenhouse? I do that anyway to start them off as with a good root system when you plant the birds are less likely to pull them out. Fill a tray with potting compost and just push them into the surface, give them some water and you're off.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Brenjon'
If you find that you cannot accomodate all the sets you have purchased. Plant out to the amount you need for growing to maturity and plant the rest in a line closely spaced and eat them as Scallions.
Scallions are 'Onions in the Green' and are exceedingly tasty. They make an Onion Sauce with a difference and are wonderful with any Lamb meal.
JB.
Brenjon

weather was fine here today and my raised beds are quick to dry out. I took the plunge and planted out most of my onion sets I am hopeful everything will be O.K. Thanks for the advice on planting the surplus as scallions.
Regards Brenjon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic