Wolf-Garten Tools

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

haggis
KG Regular

My rake broke recently (something to do with trying to crack ice - don't ask!) and when I was looking at replacements I saw a range of tools by Wolf-Garten. They were the ones where you buy a handle and then snap on various tools e,g, rake head, hoe head etc. I thought that would be really handy since I have to take all of my tools to my allotment each time I go up so it would be a lot easier for me to carry one handle and the various heads I need. The tools are expensive though and I am a bit dubious as to how long the snap on mechanism would hold tight. Has anyone used these? Any feedback would be appreciated!
thanks
Haggis
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Haggis, i had a set of these tools bought for me well over 15 years ago, maybe nearer to 20 years.
When i first got them i thought they looked a little gimmicky, what seemed a little ungrateful i know, but how wrong i was.
They are still in very good condition, even the snap on mechanism is still good and tight, and they do get a huge amount of use, as over the last six years i use them at work as well now.

So it's definately a yes from me.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Tigger
KG Regular

And from me. I buy a couple of new ones each year to add to my collection and they are excellent. The fact that you can extend the length (or in my case keep it as short as possible) of the handles is particularly useful as I'm somewhat short of 5'.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dea Haggis, may i just recommend the push, pull weeder, [hoe] and the cultivator, both very useful items.

With the hoe, once you get used to the action you really can cover a large area in a short time. Just one little draw dack with it though, if the ground is farly damp the soil does tend to stick to the bottom of the hoe a little.
And before anyone says, yes i do know that you shouldn't really do hoeing while the soil is wet. :)

Dear Tigger, i've always found the most loveliest of things come in small parcels. :) :wink:

haggis
KG Regular

Thanks Tigger and OH, that is great. the tools looked heavy duty but like OH (initially) I was a bit worried about the snap on bit - however 15-20 years of use sounds good to me! Birthday coming up soon so guess what i am going to be dropping hints for....

I did see the hoe thing and it looked useful - that might be on the list after the pole and the rake head. The adjustable handle sounds a great idea - I am 5'5" but my hubby (on the rare occassions that I get him into the garden) is 6'3" so one size doesn't really suit here.
John
KG Regular

Hello Haggis
I'd like to add my recommendations. I've got several of these tool heads which I use with the short handles for working in my cold frames or wherever I need to get down on my hands and knees and they are excellent.
The push-pull hoe is the best hoe I've ever used - note it comes in two widths.

This 'gardening4less' site is very good. They have the whole range there with good discounts and delivery is free for orders over £25 (and fast). There's lots of other good stuff there also at discount prices.

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/

I've ordered several times from them and their service has been excellent. The search on their web site is slightly cranky but you'll soon find your way around. Garden centres only have a small range available usually at the top prices.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Tigger
KG Regular

If you watched Countryfile tonight, you will have seen the professional woman taking cuttings from the trees in Somerset was using a Wolf lopper. Good recommendation in itself, methinks.
haggis
KG Regular

Missed Countryfile unfortunately but i think I will go ahead and order - thanks for the website address john - that's much cheaper than the tools I saw in the garden centre. I am definitely going to order the push pull hoe. Not much chance of using it here anytime soon though as the forecast is for -10 tonight.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Haggis, i must admit, i don't think they do an ice-pick attachment at the present. :wink:

Tigger
KG Regular

On "Dream Farm" tonight I noticed that all the implements were Wolf accessories. No mention was made about them but they were clearly in use.

(Don't mention the Monty word or JB will have apoplexy!)
Tel
KG Regular

As spring seems to be 'sprunging', my thoughts turned to the Wolf snaps-ons I have.
Can't fault them!!!
macmac
KG Regular

We love our wolf tools,we have a very long handle (a bonus if you suffer sore backs) a hoe,and a couple of cultivars one being what we refer to as the "star tool" it breaks soil down to a tilth good enough to sow seeds.
we would recommend them every time :D several allotment friends have bought them after seeing/used ours
sanity is overrated
haggis
KG Regular

My new tools arrived last week - birthday present from hubby. I got two sizes of handles and a rake, soil crumbler, draw hoe, push-pull hoe and patio scraper. They seem really sturdy and I can't wait to get up to the plot to give them a go. Also bought myself a trolley sort of thing for lugging around stuff - small enough to fit in the back of my wee car but large enough to be useful. May go the whole hog yet and spend what's left of my birthday cash on a pair of Felco secateurs! I had my last chemotherapy last Friday so I am in the mood to treat myself :P It is so frustrating wanting to get up to the plot but I'm not really strong enough yet. My dad is coming in at the weekend so he is going to be press ganged to do some digging I think and I may get a try out of the crumbler and push-pull hoe. Thank goodness the winter is over - it's such a tonic to see things growing again.

Thanks for all the replies re the tools :D
Gardenboy
KG Regular

Hello Haggis

If you can strech to some Felco secateurs go for it. I got some last year (as a gift too) and they realy don't compare to the cheapies -- light to handle (makes a bigger differance than you'd think) and will cut anythink i've tried. All the parts eg. blades, springs etc are available as spares too if you do wear them out so might even be cheaper in the long run :D

Bye
Will
haggis
KG Regular

Hi Will,
I think you may be right. I have spent a fortune on cheapies over the years so I think it is time to upgrade. I recently bought an oilstone and have been sharpening all of my tools which has also made a difference. The cheaper tools don't like that though - you can tell the difference!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic