Seed beds

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Zena
KG Regular

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am new to all this... :oops:
Lots of the gardening books & magazines I'm reading (along with the seed packets) refer to starting things off in seed beds and then transplanting.
I've got 2 veg. patches each approx 17' square and am about to start digging a third the same size, with the intention of using the traditional 3 bed rotational system. i don't have room for a fourth seed bed! I don't have a greenhouse and don't have a lot of window sill space. so my question is: do I need a seed bed or can most things be sown where I intend to grow them and then just thinned out? All advice gratefully received - thanks!
Compo
KG Regular

The answer is yes you can grow everything direct in situ and some would argue that the crop is hardier and healthier that way, the problem being that you can lose some sowings due to pests, birds, mice etc, the trick with direct sowing is to make sure the site is as clean as possbible of weeds, otherwise they will get a grip before the seedlings can.

Mark the drills well where the have been sown and be prepared to thin your seedlings because you need to over sow to stop pest or poor germination problems. You say you have no space for a greenhouse but some kind of cloche system or a cheap plastic greenhouse from lidl or wilko or similar will help you to bring seeds on under cover and get ahead of the game.
Any cover your provide can be removed off the bed later (even one of these cheap plastic greenhouses) once risk of frost is passed and the ground has warmed. Good luck!!
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Tigger
KG Regular

Hmmnn - most things can be started off in situ - beans, peas, beetroot, spinach, kohlrabi, - basically anything that has seed big enough to plant singularly. So you can safely sow these directly into where you want them to grow.

The advantage of seed beds is for those little seeds that find it difficult to compete with clods of earth. Can I suggest that if you're short of space you take a hoe and make a channel in your bed, fill that with compost and then sow the little/fine seeds into that. Alternatively, sow them into compost in biodegradable pots (72 for a £ at Poundland) and tear the bottoms out of the pots before planting them into your beds. I use this for carrots and parsnips.

The prolific growers - such as lettuce and rocket - will grow anywhere.
Compo
KG Regular

PS

You can now get many veg seedlings pre grown which will help you, try farmers markets and car boot sales, often cheaper than garden centres, and you can put them straight in with very little wasteage. I have just put some early lettuce seedlings in the ground using lemonade bottles as individual mini cloches one per plant, a hole in the top keeps them rain watered and i bury them about three inches into the soil to stop em getting blown away.
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Zena
KG Regular

thanks everyone -I'll try all recommendations and am relieved to know I haven't got to tell my son to sacrifice his football/cricket pitch for the sake of a seed bed!
:)
Thanks again - I knew I could rely on you!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Zena,
You could try the old fashioned way with Cabbages, Leeks and the like which was to have a small nusery patch at the corner of every prepared bed and that was protected against Pigeons and the other nasties and as they get to right size/time they were then planted out onto the prepared ground.
JB.
Zena
KG Regular

Good idea,Johnboy, I'll try that as well!

Thanks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic