Cucumber Growing Problem....

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

RWeb
KG Regular

have a problem with cucumbers this year. They are grown in a 6ft x 10ft greenhouse well ventilated and watered and fed weekly with liquid general purpose fertiliser as I have done every year with success. But this year lots of the small cucumbers have reached two to three inches in length and just shrivel up and died. I have shaded them and left the vents open at night. Several of the fruits have grown well but are bent and of peculiar shade. The plants are grown in the greenhouse border. Could it be botrytis mould? I have sprayed for this five days ago. I don't like using chemicals as tomatoes are grown on the other side of the greenhouse. Hope you can help.

-----------------------------
Vegetable Garden + Home Garden = My Garden
WLB
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Rweb, i think the problem is more likely to be a root problem, especially if the small cucumbers are are shrivelling from the flower end first. They could have a root or foot rot problem.
If you can't see any sign of rot, you could try cutting all remaining fruits off, give the plants a foliar feed and hopefully the next lot of cucumbers will be fine.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic