Can I get back to my old style forum?

Need help on using the new forum? Please post questions here and see our FAQ.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

June
KG Regular

Help please,
I haven't been able to access the forum for a couple of weeks and have just discovered by phoning KG it was a problem with our ISP. Anyway, I'm back on but cannot view the forum 'old style' (is this called subza?) When I log in as I used to be able to do previously. I'm not very computer literate at all so any help very gratefully received. I've searched old postings but can't seem to find any way on my profile to amend settings.
Thanks, June
PS.....please don't tell me I have to view the forum 'new style'.....sorry to rake up this old chestnut again but this format really is horrible!!!!
peter
KG Regular

June, I'll have to disobey your explicit request.

What you see is what you get.

It'll grow on you, it did with me. :)
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
June
KG Regular

Thanks, Peter
At least I know now (!)
Hope it grows on me too.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Like June, it's taken me a while to get used to the new look & feel.

I'm now just about comfortable with most of it. However the part that still bugs me is that it uses Yellow (on my system) to indicate forums and messages which have unread items in them. However as you move the mouse over items on most screens, they also turn yellow.

If that could be surpressed, it would be very useful. I'm struggling to see what purpose it serves.
Smurfy
KG Regular

I agree, i wasn't a member in the old style forum so this is all i've ever known but i agree about the orange/yellow colour.

A number of times i've clicked onto a topic only to realise it's not got any new posts it was just that my mouse was near it so it turned orange. If you could either take that off or make it so that it highlighted a different colour that would be really helpful.
Life's a journey, not a destination - Aerosmith
KGAdmin
Site Admin

I'll look at the themes. However I thought the orange for unread and green for read items was pretty clear. Read topics (in green) will still highlight orange if you haven't read them recently.

I've tried a quick colour switch but it doesn't seem to have taken effect, so will look at it when I can.

KGAdmin
Colin_M
KG Regular

KGAdmin wrote:I'll look at the themes. However I thought the orange for unread and green for read items was pretty clear.

Yes, that part is fine

KGAdmin wrote:Read topics (in green) will still highlight orange if you haven't read them recently.
KGAdmin

Can't see the point of text changing colour when your mouse passes over it. What other websites do that unless there's a special function for that item?

And to change it to a colour that means something specific (eg. unread message) when it isn't unread, is just confusing.
KGAdmin
Site Admin

Can't see the point of text changing colour when your mouse passes over it. What other websites do that unless there's a special function for that item?

Its a link highlight - and just about every site going does it - including the BBC.
When different colours are used on sites to show text is actually a LINK - then quite often its good practice to also change the colour (or add an underline) to the section of text that is a link and show it is clickable / provides an action.

KGAdmin
Colin_M
KG Regular

KGAdmin wrote:[Its a link highlight - and just about every site going does it - including the BBC.

Interestingly if you look at http://news.bbc.co.uk/ , they just underline the link when your mouse goes over (well on my browser anyway!). I think it's the fact that on the KG website, the colour used to highlight that you're over a link is the same one used to indicate an unread link that is unhelpful.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic