Elderflower Cordial

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

GIB
KG Regular

I have a number of Elderberry trees bordering my garden that are currently full of flowers - does anybody have a recipe for making Elderflower Cordial?

thanks
elsakrogh
KG Regular

20 bunches of elderflowers
1 tbsp citric acid
1 kilo sugar
Juice and rind of 1 lemon (untreated)
1 liter boiling water
Mix all the first 5 ingredients, pour boiling water over.
Let stand in a cold place 4 days, strain, and bottle. Keep cold.
Dilute to taste.
GIB
KG Regular

Hi Elsakrogh

thanks very much for that, i'll make some this weekend!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Here is another recipe from Sarah Raven's excellent Garden Cookbook:

"This is not too sweet and will keep for a very long time (if you don't drink it too quickly)

For 2 x 750ml bottles:

1.35kg granulated sugar
Flowers from 15-20 elderflower heads
2 oranges thinly sliced
2 lemons thinly sliced
2 limes thinly sliced (I didn't have any limes so left them out)
30g tartaric or citric acid

Put 1.5 litres of water and the sugar in a saucepan and dissolve the sugar completely before bringing to the boil.

Add the flowers and return the water to the boil. Remove from the heat immediately.

Thinly slice the fruit into a large bowl or jug. Add the tartaric acid and pour over the hot syrup and flowers. Stir well and cover loosely. Leave for 24 hours.

Strain into warm sterilised bottles and seas. This keeps for a couple of months in the fridge. If you make plenty, pour some into plastic bottles and freeze. It will last for years."

I've made some this week and it is delicious. I can thoroughly recommend this book as it has recipes month by month using fruit and veg in season. She also suggests some of her favourite varieties of veg. There are also lots of delicious ice cream recipes, which prompted me to buy an ice-cream machine last year.

By the way, if you look Independent Offers up on the internet they have the Gaggia Gelateria ice cream maker and a free cookery book at a very reasonable price.
vivienz
KG Regular

I find I always make sufficient that puts a squeeze on storage, what with all the other stuff that comes available over the summer.
I pour my elderflower cordial into ice cube bags and freeze. Then I just pop a couple of lumps into a glass, add water & no need for ice.
Vivien
marianne34
KG Regular

Vivien I love the idea with the icecubes :D I'll try that next year with a part of my cordial
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic