Making bread

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Janice451
KG Regular

I would also go with the flour on the crust, I think that worked the last time I made my own bread.
The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~ Hanna Rion
John
KG Regular

How are you getting on now, Catherine?
I haven't been able to get any good white bread flour round here for a few week now and have had to use some cheap stuff. Didn't work very well but I've found that it will give a good loaf if I add ¼ tsp (level) of vit C powder to the mix.
Normally only wholemeal loaves need this but it seems to be good way of improving poor quality white flours.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Catherine
KG Regular

Hi John. I have not made a loaf for several weeks. Just not had time so we have been buying brown bread but I dont like it. I have just bought some Doves and Carrs flour today believe it or not and am starting to make bread again as from tomorrow.

Just been too busy on the plot and at home with the garden. Never used Vit C, where would you get that from as I have never seen it in the supermarket though I must admit that I have not looked for it.
John
KG Regular

Hello again Catherine
Its also known as ascorbic acid. I get mine from the local health food shop but you should be able to get it in any pharmacy. You need the powder. I've never looked for it in a supermarket either. Its not cheap at about £4 for 50g but goes a long way as you use so little in each loaf.

If you are doing any fruit preserving it also excellent for stopping the fruit going brown.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
The Mouse
KG Regular

I used to put vitamin C in my bread - I used the tablets you find on any supermarket shelf amongst all the vitamin and mineral supplements, and crushed them to powder using the flat side of a knife. It used to work just fine, and was a lot cheaper than powder!
alia
KG Regular

my experience is with whole wheat, no bread machine, so not sure if this helps: the recipe i have says to pre-heat the oven at a high temp (i think 425 F), bake the bread at that temp for 15 minutes, then drop the temp by 100 degrees or so and cook for another 30-40 mins. this gives a rock hard, thick crust which i don't like.

after trying some fancy things, i just went with preheating the oven at the lower temp and not fiddling with the temp once i put the bread in. works a treat!

(and if i want it glossy looking, i put on an egg wash-- one egg yolk mixed with a little milk -- right before the loaf goes into the oven)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic