Jerusalem Artichokes

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

nannygreen
KG Regular

Roxanne Warrick's article on cooking artichokes was excellent-but- and this is a big but-she doesn't ever mention (even coyly) that they give you wind! :shock: If like me your guts don't process the inulin in the artichokes you literally blow up, like the Michelin man. Eventually you get merciful release! But this can take a few hours of extreme discomfort. :wink:
I've tried all sorts of ways of cooking and preparing this veg (they are delicious) but had to give up eating them, couldn't stand the agony any more! :roll:
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Nannygreen

Tigger can answer this more fully, but I believe adding asafoetida can help alleviate the problem.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Tigger
KG Regular

Chantal's right - they can be lethal without asafoetida. I have been training my husband to tolerate them, but he does occasionally escape to the wild and this powder brings him back.

It smells awful, so just add a sprinkle to your soup/mash. Then the aroma disappears and it makes the artichokes more acceptable.

Doesn't work so well with artichoke chips - but they're so gorgeous you will put up with the consequences.
Monika
KG Regular

What's asafoetida and where can I get it?
alan refail
KG Regular

Monika wrote:What's asafoetida and where can I get it?

It's the ground-up gum from a plant like fennel and is known in many languages as devil's s**t.

You can get it at any decent Asian store - must be one in or near Skipton. The last we bought came from Tesco Extra in Bangor. You can see the sort of pots it comes in by clicking the link above.

Alan
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The Jerusalem artichoke recipes were delicious and prompted me to dig lots up.

We just enjoy them and put up with the consequences. Fortunately we don't inflate painfully, just have a smelly tuneful evening!!! Not good if you go out after dinner.

I wonder whether using fennel or dill to the recipe would have a wind reducing effect, they both relax the digestive system - probably just release it more easily if that is your problem.

I thought the recipe with caramelised onions and bacon was delicious and added lots of chopped parsley to that.

I also enjoy them as crisps.

I'll try the asafoetida if I can find some and see what happens. It is a shame not to use such an easy and versatile vegetable.
goldilox
KG Regular

Ginger works for us . . . and with my husband, that's a miracle :lol:
alan refail
KG Regular

We had our first artichokes for a long while last night. Tried the asafoetida tip. It worked perfectly. Thanks Chantal :D
Tigger
KG Regular

As well as Asian stores, all the main supermarkets have asafoetida on their spice shelves.
Monika
KG Regular

No Asian shop in Skipton, but I'll try the supermarket or healthfood shop - many thanks for the tip!
Tigger
KG Regular

If you can't find it Monika, send me a PM with your address and I'll post some to you.
nannygreen
KG Regular

Thanks to all who suggested asoefoetida (aargh can't spell it!) I never thought of trying it. Roast artichokes are just delish! Maybe I can eat them again! By the way, have just come across a herb called epizote that the S Americans eat with beans to help with the gale force problem. does i9t ork with arties I wonder?
goldilox
KG Regular

Just to lower the tone a fraction . . . my husband calls them (ph)artichokes :)
Monika
KG Regular

Many thanks, Tigger, for the offer to send me some asafoetida! I got some today in the health food shop.

It doesn't have any instruction with it, so how much do I use? Just a sprinkle (say, quarter of a teaspoon) per person in each "windy" meal? It's particularly for artichoke soup I would be using it.
Tigger
KG Regular

Yes - that should be plenty. You might get away with less. So much depends on the brand and the freshness.

Let's hope it works!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic