Garden compost

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

We opened one of our large compost bins on the allotment today (approx 5' x 5') and started shovelling out the compost which has been "stewing" for about three years - beautiful black stuff with only a minimum of a few unrotted cabbage stalks or sunflower stems. Everything will be spread on next year's brassica bed.

At home, I emptied all our three compost bins yesterday (large size rubbish bins, drilled with holes at the bottom and in the sides) which is only used for kitchen rubbish, occasional garden rubbish (without seeds or perennial roots) and cardboard like toilet rolls, cereal boxes etc. That, too, provided some gorgeous compost and was spread on the vegetable area in the garden where we grow mainly salad stuff, herbs and 'delicate' vegetables.

Every time I open a compost heap I am amazed how all that green rubbish can turn into lovely compost!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Monika, thats nature for you, simple but very effective.
It's nice getting something for nothing. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Yes, well done Monika.
Lots of people stress about making compost but I find that if you just leave it long enough (and put in roughly the right proportions of materials - but only roughly) good compost makes itself.
(Formerly known as 'Organic Freak')
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
hilary
KG Regular

Hi Monika,
You have inspired me to compost the cardboard, I normally take this for recycling but seems a waste when I have compost bins on the go. I also wander up to our local stables whenever I have a lot of green waste and fill a wheelbarrow of the 'wettest' straw from the manure heap I can find. Knew it was working when I noticed our cat asleep on the plastic covering the compost, obviously the wamest place in the garden!
Regards
Hilary
Compo
KG Regular

Yes it really is an amazing process, we have a council discounted bin, put everything in it, teabags, old cutflowers, grass cuttings, cardboard and shredded papaer and a bit of the old liquic gold (need to stand on a stool to add that though) anyone know an easier way. But the compost really is amazing, black and moist and crumbly with minimal chunks. Fantastic!!

Compo
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Piglet
KG Regular

Compo wrote:and a bit of the old liquic gold (need to stand on a stool to add that though) anyone know an easier way. Compo

Do it in a bucket old fella, and pour it in, keeps your feet dry and stops you waggling it about whilst stood on a chair.
Kindest Regards, Piglet

http://pigletsplots.blogspot.com/
madasafish
KG Regular

Watering cans are best for liquid gold.. lesss chance of a disaster when pouring:-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic