Potato tasting challenge?

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

GIULIA
KG Regular

Next year our allotments are having an open day event(NGS - find us in next year's yellow book under South Liverpool) - and I was thinking of organising a 'potato tasting challenge'. This would be a bit like a wine tsting - 8 or 10 bowls of cooked new potatoes, in their skins, chopped into small pieces (plastic teaspoon size) to taste, each variety marked on the paper tablecloth and tasters can tick the box of the variety they like the beston the tablecloth - nifty huh? and people can see how others have voted and race to try the spud with the most ticks etc. etc.
My question is this.. they'll need a very light dressing to make them palatable, but nothing that might cause a nut allergy problem and nothing that will mask the potato taste. They also need to keep looking good in the bowls for up to 5 hours! Tricky on a warm day even indoors.
Suggestions would be welcome.
vivienz
KG Regular

Hi Giulia,
I think I would be inclined to keep it simple as dressings can put some people off. Possibly just butter, salt & pepper and maybe a few snipped chives. You could use a nice olive oil instead of the butter for a lighter flavour, not extra virgin as this can be too strong.
Great idea for a tasting - let us know the results.
Best wishes,
Vivien
Tigger
KG Regular

Or a simple french dressing of olive oil, wine vinegar and seasoning, whilst warm.
peter
KG Regular

Ladies, I thought this was to compare the taste of the potato, not drown the flavour with the dressing. :roll:

Just have the spud lumps in a bowl and supply a saucer of salt and a bowl of dressing for folks to dip their spud in if they want. This has the added advantage that with a tea-light a butter based dressing can be kept runny.

Cunning, eh? 8)
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
GIULIA
KG Regular

Peter that's very cunning - and I believe I have one of those tea-light hot-plate thingies somewhere. Might need two or three really. Warm butter and salt, shall give that further thought! Thanks... Giulia
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic