Preserving/Freezing Damsons

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I bought more damsons recently than I can quickly process so need to freeze them short term. Is it best to freeze them whole, or cook them down and freeze them as a pulp? We've already made some jam. Does anybody have other interesting ways of using them?
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Primrose

You can pickle them although I've not tried as I've only recently got the recipe. I'll post it in recipes if you like, it's from a fabulous little volume called "The Perfect Pickle Book".

Our damson trees are so laden with fruit that the branches are breaking so I will be trying this out pretty soon. :wink:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Gilly C
KG Regular

Damson gin
or Damson dipping sauce ?
tricia
KG Regular

Delia's Spiced Damson Chutney is lovely.
Tricia
Geoff
KG Regular

Nobody replied to freezing question I notice. Just freeze them as they come, I think they then almost last forever.
Granny
KG Regular

I freeze them whole. When you defrost them the stones come out easily if you want to make crumbles etc and they break down quickly if you make jam, chutney etc.
----------------------
Granny
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks for your responses. Granny, just as a matter of interest do the skins go brown once they've been frozen or do they keep their lovely purple blush?
Tigger
KG Regular

What about making damson cheese? It's got nothing to do with the dairy kind.

Much easier to make than damson jam and just as nice.
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes I might make some more damson cheese. Made some years ago. It was delicious but I gave a few pots away as presents and I suspect that the recipients didn't really know how to eat it or what to do with it so this time the produce will stay on home soil !
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,
I have just made 10lb of Damson Jam and I have cooked three more 3lb amounts Damsons and bagged them up and put them in the freezer including the stones.
When I defrost I then pick the stones out pop them into a muslin bag and bring to temperature add the sugar and then remove the stones and squeeze the surplus off. Leave to stand a while then pot up. They do not deteriorate and the skins retain their colour when frozen. I will make more jam just after Christmas possibly.
I do this same thing with Seville Oranges in ready sized amounts and make Marmalade throughout the year.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic