You know its nearly winter when.....

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

....the first of the seed catalogues arrive in the post. I usually save the joy of looking through them for long winter nights infront of the fire but seeing as today feels like winter anyway I've had a scan. I fancy the idea of trying cranberries - similar to Hilary's post about goji berries I wondered whether anyone has experience of them - DT Brown reckon they are easy and productive - any comments?
Jenny Green
KG Regular

I have a cranberry which has taken a couple of years to fruit. It's an interesting shrub as it doesn't grow up at all. It just kind of trails, so I have it in a deep pot and it trails down the sides. It seems even thirstier than blueberries, but providing it's in ericaceous compost it seems relatively trouble free. Not a huge amount of fruit but my one's quite young. Not sure what I'm going to do with the fruit when it ripens, though, as it's supposed to be inedible raw!
(Formerly known as 'Organic Freak')
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

Thanks for the tip re growing in a pot. I have to admit they are a bit 'sharp' raw but cranberry and orange american style muffins are one of my favourite winter breakfasts - have also made a fabby orange and cranberry sauce for lamb with it, made a change from the mint. Cranberries are v.expensive even in season and I'm making an effort to grow things we really like but are dear to buy.
strawberry tart
KG Regular

as above, D.T.Browns arrived today, but also on my travels today newly refurbished pub with "book now for christmas lunches!" banner. tempest fugit and all that. S.Tart.
hilary
KG Regular

Hi,
I planted a cranberry last year at the base of one blueberry in a wooden half barrel and it has grown well and produced a few berries but the birds had them before I worked out how to net them! I intend to buy a couple more for the other barrels since they look nice and are trouble free apart from needing lots of water!
I use cranberries at Christmas in sausage meat stuffing and Delia has a good receipe for cranberry and onion comfit which is delicious with cold meats, cheese etc.
Good luck
Hilary
Tigger
KG Regular

Piglet grows cranberries - have a look at his blog for more info.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic