enviromesh

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

lez
KG Regular

I am trying to find someone who supplies enviromesh at a reasonable price. It all seems so expensive when you know the item is good but beyond some peoples modest means. Has any one any tips on where to buy?. I would prefer the 1.75metre by 10metre.
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Lez

The best deal I could find was from Gardening Naturally

http://www.gardening-naturally.co.uk/ac ... tting.html

I've bought two lots from them this year and delivery has been within 24 hours each time. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Beryl
KG Regular

I bought some for the first time this year from Kays, for my leeks. It is very strong and should last several seasons, and I have a superb crop. (no leek moth - so far) Don't know how the price compares though. 2 x 10 m. was £32.95

Worth checking out
www.kaysdiscountgarden.co.uk

Beryl.
Mole
KG Regular

Hi

we use Wondermesh - commercial sized, it's cheaper than enviromesh (but similar). They do a garden pack - 3.25m x 5.00m - which is almost the same area that you require. Not sure how much it is though.

http://www.wondermesh.co.uk/content/view/16/37/
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

Have you tried ebay? I actually bought a 2m x 100m roll a couple of years ago from ebay for 80 odd quid :!: shared the cost with a couple of pals and its still in excellent condition.
strawberry tart
KG Regular

I like the idea of the wider roll (3.5m) 2m didnt seem wide enough for triple rows of cauli or leeks, any suggestions as to how you are using the mesh I'm using large old wire hoops that were for strawberry poly cloches which cover fine in the early stages but as the plants got larger the mesh was pulled up and white cabbage butterfies were getting in (and then unable to get out!) even some of my long carrot foliage is all scrunched up. any suggestions welcome. Also has anyone had experience of this stuff scaffolders use to enclose their scaffolding? I've read somewhere people are using it to cover large tunnels? S.Tart.
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

I 'recycled' a large length of underfloor heating pipe I found in a skip. Its absolutley fantastic as is strong, bends easily but holds what ever shape you give it and ordinary clothes pegs fit as clips to hold the mesh on. I have them about 4 feet high at the highest point. The ends are pushed onto canes pushed into the soil with a simple guide rope and peg system to hold the end hoops in place - roughy stiched 2 lengths of mesh together to make a 4 metre wide panel - job done - been bril so far
Angi
KG Regular

I have some scaffolders netting that I use over brassicas. It is fine as long as you sew up the gaps that appear in a line every metre or so along its length.
lez
KG Regular

To All
Thankyou all for your responses and I am contacting the companies mentioned. Further to this I use the blue water pipe to make up hoops and find it very good. Putting tight fitting dowel rod in the ends and glueing or screwing the dowel in makes for a fairly solid structure when in use. I found the max size is a metre long pipe as over this it does tend to flex a bit, hence my search for 1.75mtr width of netting. I have used the green scaffold netting but found the likes of whitefly (of which we have plenty here) could get though but the ladybirds etc could not. Anyway happy gardening to all and hear from you soon. cheers now Lez.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Les,
What diameter blue tube are you using? If you use 25mm OD or even better 32mm OD you will not get the flexing over a meter length. I use both of these sizes and also lash a bamboo pole ridge in place down the length of the thing to be covered which strengthens the whole structure. I do not use 20mm the smallest size for anything other than water.
lez
KG Regular

Johnboy
I use the 25mm and the idea of bamboo to strengthen is a good idea. I will give it a go next time I set up a tunnel. Cheers for the tip.
lez
lez
KG Regular

Chantel and Rosie
How do you put those smilies and pictures by the side of your messages. I will have to get one for myself.
Lez
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've been using Enviromesh for years. I too bought a huge roll of it from Kays and cut it into lengths to fit the different sized beds also using the water pipes like lots of you do for hoops.

I also protect the carrots by stapling it to one long side of the wooden raised beds and weighting down the other three sides and haven't had carrot fly damage since.

It comes up well if you put it in the washing machine at the end of the season and lasts for years and years, so even if it is quite an expensive outlay, it is very reasonable in the long term.
mandylew
KG Regular

If you look on that wondermwesh website, they sell it second hand, it says much cheaper, i have e-mailed them for a price/

Mandy
Tigger
KG Regular

And it's often on Ebay at a good price.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic