Has anyone done this?

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Losos
KG Regular

Well this isn't exactly a weed but I couldn't think where else to post.

OH & I have been digging up an area of overgrown Horse Raddish. She says we have to get rid of all the roots else they'll just come back again :shock:

Well, so as to avoid dumping them elsewhere she has had the idea of submeging them (Leaves & roots) in water in much the same way as she has done with nettles (Quite successfully I should add :wink: )

My questions are:-
What sort of evil smelling conncoction do you think will result after say 6 months??

and do you think all the rooty bits will be dead and can be used on the compost??

Your ideas, crazy or otherwise, will be greatly appreciated by OH & Me :)

Oh BTW these things seem to thrive on our soil and we don't know why they were planted in what is supposed to be a vegtable garden in the first place.
Regards
Jenny Green
KG Regular

First of all, good luck with getting rid of the horseradish by digging it up. Many have tried and failed!
Secondly, yes, it will be an evil smelling concoction after six months, but the roots will be dead. I think there aren't many different sorts - just all disgusting ones! Probably best to tip it on your compost heap.
(Formerly known as 'Organic Freak')
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
Losos
KG Regular

Jenny Green wrote: but the roots will be dead.

Thanks Jenny, I just wanted that confirmed, I don't really object to digging it up but didn't want to find it growing in the compost heap :lol:

So far as removing it from the plot, well I guess we can't expect 100% success but OH says that as long as we (I think that's the royal 'we' by the way :wink: ) remove most of it then she can zap any that come through with some organic weedkiller or a flame gun!!!

Anyone else got any thoughts on this.
Regards
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

I actually WANT to grow horse radish, take it from this I need to grow in a container?
Chantal
KG Regular

JB has a brilliant system of containment and it's on here somewhere. :wink:

Ha! Found it

viewtopic.php?t=3407&highlight=horseradish
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Losos
KG Regular

sue-the-recycler wrote:I actually WANT to grow horse radish, take it from this I need to grow in a container?

Sue - I would strongly advise the system in the link Chantel gives above.

We are removing all of ours and OH & I have been on it for several days, it's a patch about 12 foot square but you wouldn't believe how deep the roots go and they spread sideways as well :shock:
Regards
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

ohh err - sounds like I need to give this some serious thought before I junp in :shock: Thanks you all soo much for the guidance. I adore horseradish sauce JB - you system is most informative. I will follow to the letter!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Sue,
It sounds a bit complicated but basically you establish the thongs planted in the first year and at the end of that year when the leaves have died back naturally then you bang it up and go back to square one annually having harvested your Horseradish you start all over again. The whole process takes only minutes to complete. Should you need some HR during the season you can very easily unearth some and break off what you need and push the soil back. Never ever allow it to seed!
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic