Securing a polytunnel cover

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Sammy
KG Regular

When erecting a polytunnel and having pulled tight the cover, what is the best way of securing it to the door frames?. I'm wondering if there is a better method that using flat headed nails every few inches along the frame?.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Sammy.
I have always used Plasterers laths. These are a throwback to the old days of lath and plaster and the last time I enquired they were no longer available so having a circular saw I made them myself. I used 1 inch thick timber and set the saw at 3/16ths of an inch. I then use number 6x1" screws to attach them to the door frame. I use screws instead of nails because they are always easier to get out if you need to effect a repair or tightening.
By using the laths you grip the polythene tighter along the complete length and nothing will pull through the polythene. By comparison clouts will easily pull through the polythene.
So first try the Builders Merchants and if they cannot supply either ask them to make them for you or go to a Timber Yard or if you have the means make them yourself.
JB.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Can I extend this question to making smaller tunnels of mesh/netting, to protect rows of cabbages etc?

I've seen many approaches, some using semi-circles of water pipe etc. This weekend I bought some stiff wire, to see if I could replicate the tunnels sold in garden centres for £20. I've yet to get anywhere with this, as the wire's thicker than my toolkit of cutting devices can cope with!

:?: Can anyone advise:
- Ways of making the "support hoops"
- Best ways of applying netting & securing the edges?

Thanks, Colin
richard p
KG Regular

colin , to cut the wire u need a large pair of electricians wire cutters, fencing pliers os a small pair of bolt cutters.
to hold down the edges of the covering on small tunnels ive in the past use an assortment of bricks, stones and bits of timber but am slowly changing to 2 litre milk containers filled with water, i find the one litre ones are really too light, but better than nothing.
regards richard
WigBag
KG Regular

Colin I use the blue tube. I cut them into 6 foot lengths as I have 4 foot wide beds. I then take a white plastic tube, about 18 inches long, and insert it half way (9 inches) into the blue tube. It is a very tight fit and I tend to heat the blue end in water to make it easier. The white bit goes into the ground giving a solid anchorage, I can then tie string around the bottom of the blue tube to secure any plastic or fleece etc.

I think the white pipe is from electric installations, there is no instructions on it when I see it in skips in short pieces after building work!!
WigBag
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic