cordon tomato height

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

arwinfm

Hi - if I pinch out the tops of my tomatoes at 4ft, will this force the plants to fruit earlier?
thanks arwin
Allan
KG Regular

I think not, but you might get more and less-productive trusses. If you want earlies then raise them earlier from seed and try to keep them growing well throughout. The commercials reckon to plant with the first truss aleady formed.There are differences in earliness of crop, about the latest to ripen has to be Moneymaker, fine if you adore chutney.
Allan
Tigger
KG Regular

I grew lots of different varieties last year - and plan to do so again. If you're growing under cover - try the varieties favoured by the Italians and especially the Sicillians, as they grow lots of cherry tomatoes all the year round. I started mine off at the end of January and had ripe cherry tomatoes for Easter. The same plants lasted through 'til late November.
LakeView
KG Regular

I grow 25-30 varieties to sell. In past years I have sold nearly 500 plants! One school teacher buys 24 for her end-of-year present to her girls. Another man buys 24-36 tomato plants every year, too (along with 36 courgettes and 12 cucumbers and 8 squash and pumpkin!). But all the rest are sold roadside at my simple plant stand. Even though people have a great range from which to choose, many people still prefer Gardener's Delight, Ailsa Craig and Moneymaker!

I also plan to have tomato seedlings to re-pot at a local village fete this early summer as an activity for children. I will be offering Garden Pearl as they produce tiny fruits on a small bush variety, suitable for pots.
Allan
KG Regular

Do they relly prefer those varieties or do they just know no better and follow the crowd in a self-perpetuating circle. Because they buy them the seedsmen stock them, often to the exclusion of anything else and many people see the lists and plants and never know of the vast choice beyond.
We grew Garden pearl once, never again. If you want a 'safe' variety of that ilk, go for Craigella.
Allan
KG Regular

Going back to the original question, if you have 4 good trusses outdoors or 6 indoors it would indeed be better for that fruit to stop any more trusses forming.
LakeView
KG Regular

Allan,
Not sure but you may be right that many people simply buy varieties they are familiar with, no doubt. But a lot of my local customers do remark that it's nice to see such a range. I had trouble selling Auriga, a determinate orange variety. Any experience with that one?

I just looked up Craigella that you mentioned as an alternative to Garden Pearl and although Mr F has carried them in the past (eseeds.com), I see no other supplier (brief online search). I see Craigella as the subject of scientific research in the first page of Google hits! Is Craigella determinate or not? cherry size? Ailsa Craig and Tigrella cross I think.

I also grew some Aunt Ginny's Purple, but no one would buy those either. Neither varieties have commercially available plant lebels - which I find influences people's buying habits: the label sells!

My mom back in the US swears by old varieties that retain their sharp acidity. She was really excited when my brother found some (probably heritage) seeds that were more like what she grew up with, not the blander, less acidic new varieties. I'll see if I can find out which variety.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic